1976 Superior Hightop Ambulance

David Henry

PCS Member
"This vehicle starts with a boost and runs and is drivable. Engine type is V500CUIN and takes gas. The engine condition is unknown. The transmission is automatic and operable. It's a 2 wheel drive. The exterior of the vehicle is white with no cracked glass, there are minor scratches and dings, the tire condition is ok. The interior is black/blue vinyl with some cracks in the vinyl. The dash/floor condition is normal for the age of the vehicle. The radio is a stock FM radio. The only additional equipment is a light bar."

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=65&acctid=2437#media

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 880
This is located in Northern New Jersey, in Bergen County. I would guess by the lettering on the side of the vehicle, it was donated to the training academy, and when they were finished with it, they returned it to the squad in Franklin Lakes Borough, NJ.

Up to $5000 now. Very well equipped in the rear! I see that it has a Federal Interceptor, but the speakers must have been removed. Someone must have liked pounding on the dash as these black dashes usually held up pretty good, even when stored outdoors.

This is located in Northern New Jersey, in Bergen County. I would guess by the lettering on the side of the vehicle, it was donated to the training academy, and when they were finished with it, they returned it to the squad in Franklin Lakes Borough, NJ.

It was donated to the Bergen County Police and Fire Academy in Mahwah when Franklin Lakes Volunteer Ambulance Corps retired it and was housed in side at the Academy until probably late last year.

It has a very interesting left sided upper cabinet, which, I'm not sure is a factory option.

Based on the VIN# it appears to be an early 1976

Attachments

• 100_1040.jpg
    100_1040.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 100_1038.jpg
    100_1038.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 733
Wow! That steering wheel is impressive! Must have always lived inside. That alone is about an $800 item in that condition!

Are any of the cabinets original to the car? The Formica pattern & color does not look like anything that I have seen in a Superior Cadillac ambulance of that vintage.

Are any of the cabinets original to the car? The Formica pattern & color does not look like anything that I have seen in a Superior Cadillac ambulance of that vintage.

Given that New Jersey squads were very particular in their specific needs, I can see where they might have specified exactly what they wanted in cabinetry, and that it wouldn't be the normal offering by the coach builder. The coach builders would custom build anything that you wanted, as long as it was humanly possible. When this car was built, the box ambulances were already in existence, and the cabinetry in this ambulance is very similar to what was being offered in the box ambulances. I remember that our 1970 PL custom built box ambulance had the clear Plexiglas sliding doors on the cabinets, so it isn't much of a stretch to see this on a custom built Superior.

Looks to be a very good project car. Typical "Rust Belt" lower "swelling" issues with all side doors, fenders, etc. Looks to have had the hood swapped out with one from a '76 deVille d'Elegance. Interesting use of an Eldorado floor mat! I hope that a PCS member is able to get this one bought and properly restore it!

Update

Paul and Fred were correct concerning the vehicle heritage. One of my tasks when I was teaching at the Police and Fire Academy was to care for the Cadillac and other ambulances we used.

After we hauled the ambulance two towns over, we spent the summer repairing the front floor, installing new carpet, and having the seats re-done. We recovered the dash and replaced the light bar with a Twinsonic from my stock. We remove the Twinsonic before we back the rig into the garage. The plywood floor near the rear door was replaced with new wood.

We chased the worst of the external rust and primed those areas.

Although the rig will no longer transport patients, most of the interior has been restored and we have oxygen, suction and enough supplies to hold the fort until a current ambulance arrives.Front Inside.jpgDriver Side.jpgRear View.jpg

Steve,

I'm so glad you got this car. It is now in the hands of someone who truly cares about it. Congrats!:thumbsup:

I agree with Fred, this ambulance is now in capable hands. We have had the pleasure of meeting Steve and his lovely bride Helen at two different local shows this year. Not only are they improving this ambulance in leaps and bounds, they are getting lots of interest from spectators and from what I can see, they are loving it.

Welcome aboard Steve and Helen, it is a pleasure to have you both amongst us!

don't bet on it never again transporting pt either. we use out 72 for that propose just a couple of years ago.

My 1969 was put into service when a neighbor needed to be transported to the hospital after he messed up his meds, became disorientated, and went outside in the middle of the night, and got lost in the woods. When he was found, the caretaker felt that waiting for the town ambulance would take too long. Since the hospital was only 2 miles away, he called me to transport. Response time in town is any where between 15 - 30 minutes. In high priority cases, they call for mutual aid from the next town in the next state.

Back