Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum

Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum This is a discussion forum for Craigslist listings of Professional Cars and related items. This forum is not intended to become a search engine for Craigslist items. Posts with multiple listings will be deleted. Please search to see if the information has been previously posted. Titles must clearly define the discussion. DO NOT POST JUST LINKS! Please explain what the listing is about to start the discussion. Posts that don't meet these requirements may be deleted without notice. Posts may be removed after 30 days or at our discretion.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
careful they are like potato chips. you start with one and then the next thing you know you have a handful
Nice analogy. I told me my a few years ago that we could always have "his and hearse"
Old 12-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Website Member

Putting $1300 into it this week:

- Replace Quadrajet Carb
- Replace Accelerator Pump and gaskets (pump was only performing 25%)
- Rear Brake shoe service
- Clean/degrease engine
- Cooling system test
- Transmission and oil leak dye test

I noticed brakes were really stiff. Had to really mash the pedal to get it to stop. Want to make sure brakes are in top shape before I drive this much of anywhere.

Then next will be tires and paint
The Following User Says Thank You to Blake Sherwin For This Useful Post:
Richard Vyse (12-21-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Sherwin View Post
...- Replace Quadrajet Carb...- Rear Brake shoe service...
Congrats on the purchase! Have you joined the PCS yet? Keep in mind:

1. You may be better off rebuilding your carburator than replacing. Value wise for resale, originality, etc. plus the actual cost vs a replacement... I've personally used a local shop and one listed in the recommended vendors subforum here and was happy both times.

2. The brakes on your car are Commercial Chassis. It is far heavier than a standard car. Be wary of the mechanic working on your car clearly understanding what you need. I recommend in particular that you double check all the part numbers in particular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Studer For This Useful Post:
Daniel Scully (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Website Member

Well im now 1800 in on repairs. I was called back and told that the brake drums are seeping fluid onto the pads and I think he said the linkages needed replaces or "set to 0", honestly not sure what that means. Also coolant was good to 25 ABOVE 0, so having him flush the coolant system. That brings everything up to 1800. So I will have 500 left when im all done, so im still in decent shape.

Any of this sound right?

So its 500 for the brake work and coolant work, friends are saying thats too much, but im really not sure. Either way I need to get it done, so im inclined to pay because stopping is pretty important.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:58 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,385 Times in 980 Posts
Default 68

Quote:
Well im now 1800 in on repairs. I was called back and told that the brake drums are seeping fluid onto the pads and I think he said the linkages needed replaces or "set to 0", honestly not sure what that means. Also coolant was good to 25 ABOVE 0, so having him flush the coolant system. That brings everything up to 1800. So I will have 500 left when im all done, so im still in decent shape.

Any of this sound right?

So its 500 for the brake work and coolant work, friends are saying thats too much, but im really not sure. Either way I need to get it done, so im inclined to pay because stopping is pretty important.
For one no way for brakes drums to leak . Wheel cylinders , brake hoses, brake calipers, wheel seals, axle seals can leak. Do not replace the carburetor or any part of the brake system if it can be rebuilt. Most of the components in the brake system can be rebuilt , takes longer but you get the correct part back. Sounds like a possible bad brake booster again it can be rebuilt. If in doubt of the shop have it towed to another shop and get a second opinion. You need to find a shop that has history / knowledge of older cars. Get a itemized estimate list of the repairs that are needed. Linkage replaced and set to O. Sounds like something a hack would say to a soccer mom.

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,515 Times in 6,150 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Be sure and pick up your old parts. The car will work best with the things that came with it. But not vary many shops can overhaul a carburator so if you get the origional one back you can send it to one of the venders to be rebuilt. If you are having work done labor charges will be the big hit. As I don't live were you do I can't comment on what that are charging.but were I live you run it into the door and you lose 100 bucks. But the experanced shop most likely a independent one not a chain store or dealership will give you the best bang for your buck. No me I find it vary strange that the people you had look it over did not find all these problems?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:14 AM
Website Member

I will ask for an itemized report. I had gotten input from a co-worker who has had several project cars and he said 500 didnt sound too bad. But then again this is different from what he would have been working on.

Its possible i am remembering a bit of this wrong too.

I went in with an 8800 budget. After this i will be invested about 4800 into this for the car and the repairs, and i dont feel thats too bad for what i have, provided all is well once it returns.

After revising my budget and taking a deep breath i ok'd the repairs. I will have a few guys look the report over after and confirm whether i got screwed or not.

Some lessons cost money i suppose. But the important thing is that this stuff is getting done.

Budget will allow for new tires, my calcarcover, and paint may have to wait unless i get a cheapo job, but that idea really makes me cringe. I am going to try that rustoleum/acetone mix on the crinkle though, and take some goo gone to the remaining skull vinyl the previous owner couldnt get off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blake Sherwin For This Useful Post:
Daniel Scully (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,777 Times in 3,858 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

If they haven't replaced the carburetor yet, tell them to take it off, and give it to you to have rebuilt, even if they have to push the car outside until it comes back. If they have already bought a replacement, then get the old one back, even if you have to pay the core fee. Every off the shelf carburetor that I have seen in the past 60+ years has always been a mix of different year parts, and even though they look pretty, and work ok, they won't work very well for very long.
I sent a carburetor out to be rebuilt that was rebuilt by another shop for the owner of the car. This carburetor had only 300 miles on it, when it failed. When I asked the people that rebuilt it for me, what was wrong, they replied, what wasn't wrong would be a better question. It took them additional time to make everything correct. The same car, had a brake problem, after another shop worked on it. The shop that I brought it to, couldn't figure out what was wrong, until they asked me to look at it. I had them pull all the brake shoes off, and I brought them home to further examine them. It turned out that even though they were relined by Bendix, a reputable company, that the shoes were a mix of 2 different year parts that were not compatible, even though they would mount to the backing plate.
Today, you can't trust rebuilders to get it right, unless they understand old cars, and most don't. This is why I have created the "Recommended Vendors" list. This list contains the names of vendors that I have personally vetted, and researched, to make sure that they are the best of the best.
Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,363 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:

Any of this sound right?

Oh my friend you are just beginning. There seems to always be something else that will require attention. That's the beauty of owning one of these things.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Website Member

Thanked 2,411 Times in 760 Posts
Groans: 1

Quote:
Putting $1300 into it this week:

- Replace Quadrajet Carb
- Replace Accelerator Pump and gaskets (pump was only performing 25%)
- Rear Brake shoe service
- Clean/degrease engine
- Cooling system test
- Transmission and oil leak dye test

I noticed brakes were really stiff. Had to really mash the pedal to get it to stop. Want to make sure brakes are in top shape before I drive this much of anywhere.

Then next will be tires and paint
I had the Quadrajet on our "64 rebuilt by a very reputable firm for $350, it runs like new.
If that second item is the fuel pump, that too can be rebuilt.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]COURAGE [/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]HONOR [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [COLOR="Plum"][COLOR="Navy"]LOVE[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]