Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Archived Craigslist Discussions

Archived Craigslist Discussions Archived posts This forum is for old Craigslist discussions that have all the pertinent information to the item, such as pictures and descriptions. It is closed for new thread and discussion posting.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,043 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just looking at the pictures again I am no student of Ford trucks but I note a slave cylinder for the clutch my memory says this had mechanical clutch linkage. I think the first Ford truck I had with a slave cylinder was a 1988. Any Ford truck experts here??
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Its also interesting in the fact that it does not have any tail lights, just the top lights. I cant imagine it this way from the factory.
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,205 Times in 5,974 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

all right now come on lets look at the pictures again. it it obsobdiously a factory built rig. it can't be a superior as they never built on a truck chassis. young man got the truck not familiar with these kind of toys can only find the plaque for the place they got the truck from. makes a leap from there. so now we know how he made his mistake lets do some research and see who used this glass We have seen it before on a poncho. but it is a neat find and worth getting I think if your a ford lover.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 PM
PCS Member

Default '57 Ford F-150

I noticed that somebody installed after market exhaust headers. The '57 Ford F-100 panel trucks had rectangular tail lights at the belt line that wrapped around the sides. I suppose the owner could have made the lights above the rear doors into combo tail/emerg. flashers. Interesting and clean though.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,334 Posts
Groans: 7

Ed,
If you look very closely, you will see that the sticker on the dash is period-correct for the truck as it is a pre-area code phone number. I believe that area codes were added in the very early 1960s. Also, no question whatsoever on the tunnel lights being Superior. I have looked at way too many of these same oval lights(lenses are marked "Superior Coach") on school buses of that era.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Mike McDonald (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Found a possible "in-service" photo of this rig with a little digging in Yahoo Images:

Unfortunately the pic was linked to a dead website.

Yes, the owner did a little customizing and shaved the original taillamps, probably replaced with the high mounted ones. Here is what the stockers would have looked like:

(PS - my first post here, I'm a long time lurker and have known a few CA members here from the Ripon EV show where i've shown my CHP Mustang. Love all those old panel and carryall type ambulances with the '65-'68 Cadillacs coming in a very close second.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Catalano For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (03-05-2014), Kurt Arends (03-05-2014), Mike McDonald (03-06-2014), Wayne Krakowski (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,343 Posts
Groans: 1

To me, it doesn't matter who built it, I love it. That ambulance can park in my garage any time!
Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Marcy For This Useful Post:
James Fischer (03-05-2014), Rocky Fluegge (03-06-2014), Rocky Pollard (03-06-2014), Tim Prieur (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Elliott View Post
I noticed that somebody installed after market exhaust headers. The '57 Ford F-100 panel trucks had rectangular tail lights at the belt line that wrapped around the sides. I suppose the owner could have made the lights above the rear doors into combo tail/emerg. flashers. Interesting and clean though.
Ken: You are correct about the stock Ford Panel Truck Tail Lights. When I was growing up in Fallbrook CA (at 10 years old) a neighbor who sold baby chicks had a new 1957 F-100 painted "Robins Egg Blue". Just out of curiosity, I did a google search today on "information about the Pacific Lumber Company from Scotia, CA?" It turned up a lot of very interesting facts including them filing BK about time the Seller's Dad said he bought the Ambulance. Tom Shafer or Robert Shepherd may know something more about this rig or the Dealer in Burlingame?

It's likely that Pacific Lumber just kept this rig on standby at their main lumber mill (and company town) in Scotia for runs to nearby Fortuna or other larger towns. It's too nice and un-molested to have been used in the forest. Logging companies would have used "full three seated" Chevy-GMC Carryalls, or IHC Travelalls often beat-up AWD's called "crummies" to carry an injured logger out to an awaiting ambulance.

The puzzling part of this for me is the "professionally form fitted" tunnel lights with obviously Superior bus type ovals. Normally a "plant ambulance" in that era would have just had a couple of bolt on red lights (one STEADY of course after 1956 in CA). So maybe the outfit in Burlingame tried to custom build these add-on's for them? I may take a run up there to look at it in person. It's definately VERY NICE and a collectible one-off piece!. MM
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McDonald For This Useful Post:
James Fischer (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Catalano View Post
Found a possible "in-service" photo of this rig with a little digging in Yahoo Images:

Unfortunately the pic was linked to a dead website.

Yes, the owner did a little customizing and shaved the original taillamps, probably replaced with the high mounted ones. Here is what the stockers would have looked like:

(PS - my first post here, I'm a long time lurker and have known a few CA members here from the Ripon EV show where i've shown my CHP Mustang. Love all those old panel and carryall type ambulances with the '65-'68 Cadillacs coming in a very close second.)
THANKS MIKE for finding and posting this. I am still having a problem with the professional etched side glass and tunnel lights. It doesn't seem likely to me that the (new owner) would have gone to that much trouble buying this at auction...it seems that he was more in to changing the wheels for a custom car-cruise night look? As I recall Pacific Lumber's official company colors for their mill and company town were kind of a light sea-foam green. I think Ford's close color to that was called "Winter Green". And YES you are a famous CHP "SSP" Mustang owner-(meticulous) restorer from Ripon! THX AGAIN! MM
Old 03-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDonald View Post
THANKS MIKE for finding and posting this. I am still having a problem with the professional etched side glass and tunnel lights. It doesn't seem likely to me that the (new owner) would have gone to that much trouble buying this at auction...it seems that he was more in to changing the wheels for a custom car-cruise night look? As I recall Pacific Lumber's official company colors for their mill and company town were kind of a light sea-foam green. I think Ford's close color to that was called "Winter Green". And YES you are a famous CHP "SSP" Mustang owner-(meticulous) restorer from Ripon! THX AGAIN! MM
Hi Mike, I was reading the town of Scotia's website and in the history section they mention that when Fortuna opened a new hospital in 1957, they closed their 1920's era facility and started sending patients there. Wonder if the purchase of this rig was somehow related to this change-maybe it was an upgrade to an older plant ambulance that was less capable of making intercity runs???

I agree, I think the owner was just into mildly "rodding" what what already there and probably wouldn't have bothered with changing/adding tunnel lights. Looks like he did change out the rear bumper. It would be real nice if the original parts were saved.

I've been to Scotia a few times, what an interesting place!
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Catalano For This Useful Post:
Mike McDonald (03-06-2014)