Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Archived Craigslist Discussions

Archived Craigslist Discussions Archived posts This forum is for old Craigslist discussions that have all the pertinent information to the item, such as pictures and descriptions. It is closed for new thread and discussion posting.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,215 Times in 5,982 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

sure ridding high in that front end pictures for the engine being in it then. I do know were there is a wagon but the man knows what he has.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,274 Times in 936 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Torsion bar mounts

Quote:
Being apart wouldn't scare me as much as the rust in the floor, knowing that the rust can also destroy the torsion bar mounts, and that is a nightmare to repair
Quote:
'62 turned into a year of styling disarray at Chrysler, as a totally new design for '62 was scrapped at the 11th hour when, as the story goes (long story short) corporate mistakenly believed that Chevrolet would further downsize, and the just made '62 a facelift, and shaved the fins. Designer of the Forward Look, Virgil Exner became the scapegoat. Richard Brothers Briareans (yes, I'm making slow, but forward progress on mine) retain the hardtop side glass of the Town and Country wagons, which are the same as the hardtop 4-door models. And not that hard to find (in clear or tinted Solex) as they interchange many years.) So when I see these Nationals, first thing I notice is the stately side glass. It will have the awesome electroluminescent Astra-Dome bubble dash. Thanks for posting the photo. Looks like it has the later Chrysler road wheels that someone also put on mine.
Kudos to Kurt for rescuing that Briarean, even if it did end up overseas.
The torsion bar mounts are part of the front sub frame on the 60-64 full size cars and I think this goes back to the first year torsion bars. If the floor is rotted and it is just sheet metal no problem but if the front sub frame is gone big problems.

The story's I have read is the Dodge 880's are also a result of the perceived downsizing by GM and Ford .It was Dodges full size car from 62-65.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Scully For This Useful Post:
Dave Lisiecki (08-11-2013), Mike Boyer (08-09-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
PCS Elected Director 2014- 2018

Thanked 10,105 Times in 2,641 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Borkat View Post
Anyway, I didn't bring it up, because I wanted the coach for myself, and I had been talking to the owner.
Did the owner say it was a combination or an endloader?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS President 2014 - 2018

Thanked 3,319 Times in 719 Posts

This car is little more than a stone's throw from me, so we went to check it out. Hadn't gotten around to posting photos here until now...sorry...also for the photos. Better than nothing, but not great. Had to push the 'ol girl out of her tent garage in order to take these. The seller is a very nice, easy-going, and personable fellow. The Chrysler is a very ambitious restoration project that will require an immense amount of time and money.

She's a straight end-loader and still has some good sections of the formal drapes. The original rear floor and hardware is there, under some '70s carpet. With her original color being gold, she was quite the looker in her day!

Was interesting to see the wood framing around the rear windows. Unfortunately, with all that stuff in the back and the remainder of the headliner sagging down, it was hard to see much of the rear interior.

While the in-service history is not known, the car is said to have been brought to MN many years ago by a Chrysler enthusiast who bought it out of state.

In my opinion, this Chrysler hearse would have been the PERFECT addition to the amazing restored Mopar collection of Mr. Jess Ruffalo (now deceased.) Many of Mr. Ruffalo's cars were on display each year in Iola, WI and it was worth the trip just to see them. He would've had the resources and enthusiasm to restore this gem to her former glory.

For a bit more on Mr. Ruffalo, check this out:

Now, for some additional views of the Chrysler...
(Karsnia photos)
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Karsnia For This Useful Post:
Adam Borkat (08-09-2013), John Burchfield (08-09-2013), Mike Boyer (08-09-2013), Paul Steinberg  (08-15-2013), Steve Loftin (08-09-2013), Terry Lange (08-09-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS President 2014 - 2018

Thanked 3,319 Times in 719 Posts
Default More photos

(Karsnia photos)
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tony Karsnia For This Useful Post:
Adam Borkat (08-09-2013), Dave Lisiecki (08-11-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (08-15-2013), Joe Melanson (08-09-2013), John Burchfield (08-09-2013), John ED Renstrom (08-09-2013), Paul Steinberg  (08-15-2013), Steve Loftin (08-09-2013), Terry Lange (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
PCS Life Member

I don't know too much about Mopars of this era, other than the wild, unique, and cool exterior styling, but that "Astra-dome" bubble dash is just too cool . National really had their own sense of styling, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to John Burchfield For This Useful Post:
Mike Boyer (08-09-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Website Member

Tony, Since you actualy saw the car in Person Could you tell me if all Door Pannels are there and somewhat intact (to use as Templates if need be) As well as the Quarter Window that Appears to have been Removed??? Any Hub Caps???

I too Have been Drooling over Continplating Adding this Odd Ball Coach to the Collection, My Voice of Reason tells me I have enough Irons in the Fire, but the collector in me asks when will I ever have a chance to buy another one in the area?!?! lol!

The Floor Rot/Torsion Bar Issue does Scare me as does the Degree of Rot/Rust around the Rear Quarter Windows and the "Undertaking" it would take to fix and correct that... But I would also hate to see a Coach like this fall into the Wrong hands or be sold to someone with the Intentions of Junking/Crushing it if/when Scrap Metal Prices climb

I remain "On the Fence" with this one... As my other Pro-Cars Plead for Attention!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,489 Times in 3,750 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jonsberg View Post
Tony, Since you actualy saw the car in Person Could you tell me if all Door Pannels are there and somewhat intact (to use as Templates if need be) As well as the Quarter Window that Appears to have been Removed??? Any Hub Caps???

I too Have been Drooling over Continplating Adding this Odd Ball Coach to the Collection, My Voice of Reason tells me I have enough Irons in the Fire, but the collector in me asks when will I ever have a chance to buy another one in the area?!?! lol!

The Floor Rot/Torsion Bar Issue does Scare me as does the Degree of Rot/Rust around the Rear Quarter Windows and the "Undertaking" it would take to fix and correct that... But I would also hate to see a Coach like this fall into the Wrong hands or be sold to someone with the Intentions of Junking/Crushing it if/when Scrap Metal Prices climb

I remain "On the Fence" with this one... As my other Pro-Cars Plead for Attention!

Please refer to this post above...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Website Member

Yes, I did read, and I understand that Paul, However, I have not seen the car in person, so I really have no way of knowing the condition of the Sub-Frame or Floor Short of Looking at Pics of a Cluttered Interior that do show some Rust Thru on the Floorboards ... To what extent? ...A Person Never really knows until they start digging into it more

As the Underbody Can Sometimes Tell a much different story than the other side may