67 Update

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Since the last update, we have fixed the stalling problem. Come to find out the combination of a leaky and weak fuel pump along with a tired carburetor will cause the car to stall here and there.

It took a few days to find the fuel pump. Neither NAPA or APM's suppliers carried or had any in stock. Out of desperation I went to good ol Canadian Tire and they found a fuel pump somewhere on the back shelve of one of their stores.

I drooped off the carburetor at the local carburetor rebuilding shop and a couple days after the carb was rebuilt minus the electric choke. I happened to be in Toronto for a conference and thought of looking up carburetor shops up there and bingo, the first one I called had a Carter electric choke in stock. As soon as I got back home, I re-installed the carb and choke and my dad came over to help with the fine tuning. The car now runs like new.....

.....except for the leaky radiator. We have an appointment on Wednesday to the radiator shop to see if the leak is reparable, or if we are looking at a new rad.

So far this summer, the car got a new timing chain and sprockets, new fuel pump, rebuilt carburetor, new electric choke, new intake gaskets, new engine temperature probe, new thermostat, second hand thermostat housing, new alternator, new plug wires and a second hand Dietz.

Before next summer, I still got to have the radiator leak fixed, change the break cylinders which are leaking a little, change the drive shaft U joints which are starting to make noise, the exhaust system which has a number of wraps of exhaust tape covering holes and possibly the passenger side exhaust manifold which is leaking, all of the vacuum and fluid hosed along with as much of the electrical wires as I can....plus what ever else I find on the way....

The list seems quite long, but I think that if I pace myself and does not get discouraged, it should be manageable.

I wanted to have th car re-painted, but I think that I'd better fix these first and then go for the paint.

Anyhow, I hope that the car will be ready to go for the drive to Ohio next summer, at least, that's the plan.

Your progress is impressive, J-M. I wish I had made as much progress with mine.

Best wishes for smooth sailing with the rest of the stuff.! :17875:

that's the way to do it get the mechanical things fixed first then. go for the body work. just take each task as it's own job and soon it finished. they you can have the fun in wearing it out again.

Just finished installing all new hoses from the rear heater and spliced them into the car's system. This summer I had the the rear heater core refurbished and sent the heater motor to also be refurbished.

I also installed a new flexible tube that connects the fresh air intake to the back of the rear heater, so this should now also work.

I just have to fill the radiator with coolant and start her up to see how if it all works. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

picture.php

picture.php

you got to love that superior slice and dice for there rear heater. they must have owned the hose company the way they ran lines back and forth.

keep up the good work

I love to hear about others spending money on their cars, keep it up, it helps the parts supplers employed.:4_11_9: I remove my cars from insurance in the winter and tear the front end off fenders hood ect. and repair and replace all that I could find time and money for.I make a list all summer long and only repair what could keep them from running all summer long,and save it all for winter when I have time to keep them out of service while i taking the time to fix them. and it gives me time to hunt down the parts as you found out are not just laying around.

I love to hear about others spending money on their cars, keep it up, it helps the parts supplers employed.:4_11_9: I remove my cars from insurance in the winter and tear the front end off fenders hood ect. and repair and replace all that I could find time and money for.I make a list all summer long and only repair what could keep them from running all summer long,and save it all for winter when I have time to keep them out of service while i taking the time to fix them. and it gives me time to hunt down the parts as you found out are not just laying around.

Insurance is cheap compared to a fire theft or a snow laiden roof collapsing in on your collection. There are a few great companies and many good ones that offer exceptional coverage for a year at a time. I have Hagarty and it is just one company i am familiar with that will insure projects in progress. Murphey is my adopted first cousin and insurance has benefited me and was worth the investment.

insurance

Hi Kenn
State farm lets me put the hearse moter home and limo on hold for six months still coverd for theift fire ect just not comp and libility saves a few buck for a few months I don,t drive them in the rain and I just have to let my agent know if I need to but them back on for a trip

Back