out side is done

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
will almost I still have to put in the door locks and the Victoria fender badge.
then it's get the inside back together. been kind of a long struggle on this old gal but then it's such a nice running car I hated to loose it. still got a couple mechanical things on the front end that need to be done but nothing big. it will be nice to have the floor space the parts were taking up and the other cars cleaned out. a lot nicer to only have two cars torn apart instead of 3. glad Dan found the wrinkle paint in quarts. it came out nice for the first attempt and as rough as the car was. if I had of put on one more quart I think the wrinkles would have hiden everything. so now I know why they use it.

Attachments

• 04 left side s.jpg
    04 left side s.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 06 front s.jpg
    06 front s.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 207
Testament that with a little time, any professional vehicle can be brought back from the "other side".

Very good looking car Ed!

As always, thanks for the pictures. I especially like the before and after shots. Makes us appreciate where it is now even more.

Just one suggestion I have for you: Be sure to paint the landau bows gold to match the car's body. That's how S&S typically did it.
Until you mentioned this, I didn't notice, but in the first "before" picture, the landau bows are painted silver like the color of the car at that point.

Come on Ed, no way that is the same car. You're just foolin us. It is an amazing transformation and you harbor a talent and a level of patience I truely respect.

Looks GREAT!:thumbsup:

Hey Ed, that rear bumper looks bad and should be replaced. Please send this one to that poor guy in Florida who needs it very badly. :)

thanks guys. I know the bars need to be gold I still have a quart of paint. but it may be the last thing I do. some how I still bulk at them being body color. OH I'll get to it. but then I need to get to Jim's car and there is that jeep I've been meaning to finish. but trust me before I let it go or show it at a PCS meet I'll get the bars painted gold. mean time they will hang there till I get to it. a little antie seaze on the threads says I can get them off again this one is not perfect by any stretch. maybe a hair better then Richards 73 but not a lot. we did a lot of experimentation on it and ended up redoing some of that. what it will be when we get finished is a nice drivable car one can show up in with out making excuses. if one wanted to spend the money to move it up a notch or two one could but you would not have to if your comfortable with it. started out with the interior being the best thing. now it's not. but still good. all in all we have about 5000,00 in the car including buying it and getting it up here. that and a little time we would have wasted watching TV anyway. been almost two years getting to it but I'm happy.

Hey Ed, that rear bumper looks bad and should be replaced. Please send this one to that poor guy in Florida who needs it very badly. :)

"drop yours" take it apart and send it to me. I'll repair it have it replated and send it back to you. trust me it would be cheaper then getting mine.;)

What a rescue and transformation. It looks great in the pictures.

all in all we have about 5000,00 in the car including buying it and getting it up here.

My car was painted to match the funeral home fleet where it was placed in service when new (so I was told). It is showing age and wear and I have been thinking about having it painted back to its original factory color. I have never had paint work done but would have expected a much higher price than it seems you must have paid. Is there an amount I should expect? I understand this would vary greatly but I am not looking to have a 100 point trailer queen, I like to drive the car.

Proof that even a crappy car to start with can be restored and returned to a good-looking professional car with time and talent. Ed certainly has the time and talent to do this. Great!

the boys and Makco are getting around 3000 to do a paint job they tell me.
so it really depends on were your at and what you have to do. there is so much difference from one side of the country to the other. all I know for sure is I end up spending around a grand on the materials to do one here. I was talking to some one else who is doing most of the hand work on there car and they told me there quote was 6 grand to do a ambulance in a two tone.
the members in Florida have people down there that will do one for a lot less. so it's all most imposable to know what they get were you are. most of the guys down town here will do one for 3 to 5. they tell me it's under a grand in Denver at the drive threw if your a dealer. it all depends on how much it takes to keep a shop open were you are at. but I would say if you can drop it off,pick it up when it's done for around 3 grand you getting a good price. price a quality don't always go hand in hand in this business. best bet is to pick one that has been around for a while. as you can't stay in business if you work goes bad.

price a quality don't always go hand in hand in this business

If you find a good shop it only needs to be done once. The 72 was not cheap but it will not have to be fixed by another shop.

Ed that looks better with the trim on.;)

Attachments

• 364363523.jpg
    364363523.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 133
If you find a good shop it only needs to be done once. The 72 was not cheap but it will not have to be fixed by another shop.
)

truer words were never spoken. thanks once again for the quarter trim. with out it I would still be lost in the dark. the glue on fall off stuff the silver man used on it really looked tacky. I only used 1/2 gal of paint on the top wish I had used one more quart. but I was able to spray it right out of the can with out thinning. thought it would never start to wrinkle. it did not till I parked it out in the sun. then it formed right away. thought for a bit I had throwing 100 bucks out the window. so thanks again for your help. this is what the PCS is all about members helping each other to complete a project :thumbsup:
now if I can find some rocker trim some were it's all together again.

What a rescue and transformation. It looks great in the pictures.

My car was painted to match the funeral home fleet where it was placed in service when new (so I was told). It is showing age and wear and I have been thinking about having it painted back to its original factory color. I have never had paint work done but would have expected a much higher price than it seems you must have paid. Is there an amount I should expect? I understand this would vary greatly but I am not looking to have a 100 point trailer queen, I like to drive the car.

Kevin, every time I see your limo, I admire it. It sure looks nice to me. Do you have to paint the jambs and such, in order to put it back to the original color? If so, you can really spend some money to get a nice job. In my opinion, if the jambs match the color it is now, you may be better served to leave the color alone. I would guess that in all probability, they did a good job when they color changed it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as a limo-lover, I like the ones with unique colors and your's is a favorite of mine. If you don't get a quality job, you run the risk of cheapening your car. BTW, what is the original color? Just curios.

Back