GAS cap HELP needed......

James Fischer

PCS Member
I am trying to do some small stuff that I think is important to the 70 Superior,before I get to the BIG stuff......:)

Checking brakes,so I can take her to get new tires.....

New plugs,points,cap/rotor,condensor.....Done

Fresh fuel......done...cap on fuel tank.....MISSING.....
No problem...went down to my local O'Reallys......they gave me somthing made in Taiwan...ok for now......:eek:
Got home,does not fit......Got on line and checked STANT website,got number and went to return 1st cap to O'Reallys.....went down the street to AutoZoned.....Nothing in stock....went across town to PeepBoys...gave them STANT #...got cap..went home......does NOT fit.....took cap back this AM....that same cap was almost identical to the Taiwan gem.......
That cap that I need "locks" on the outside rim of filler neck.....both I have recieved "lock" on inside of filler......:rolleyes:
I even checked the 72 SUPERIOR it REALLY does not fit....... and my other 70 has NO CAP ! either...Hmmmmmm wonder why ??
All that said can somone PLEASE enlighten me on this mystery ???
What is the problem here ??
DO I have to go to a Caddy wrecker ??? or just put aluminum foil over it ???

not a proper cap but...

James,
It don't know what cap you are suppose to have. Locking on the outside of the filler neck is the way radiator caps lock into place. I used a radiator cap for a spare gas cap. I found the correct size by taking the radiator cap from my radiator and trying it on the gas filler. I tried this as a little bird told me the exposed chrome gas cap on some old cars and coaches had become targets of souvinier hunters.
Good luck,
Mike

I am trying to do some small stuff that I think is important to the 70 Superior,before I get to the BIG stuff......:)

Checking brakes,so I can take her to get new tires.....

New plugs,points,cap/rotor,condensor.....Done

Fresh fuel......done...cap on fuel tank.....MISSING.....
No problem...went down to my local O'Reallys......they gave me somthing made in Taiwan...ok for now......:eek:
Got home,does not fit......Got on line and checked STANT website,got number and went to return 1st cap to O'Reallys.....went down the street to AutoZoned.....Nothing in stock....went across town to PeepBoys...gave them STANT #...got cap..went home......does NOT fit.....took cap back this AM....that same cap was almost identical to the Taiwan gem.......
That cap that I need "locks" on the outside rim of filler neck.....both I have recieved "lock" on inside of filler......:rolleyes:
I even checked the 72 SUPERIOR it REALLY does not fit....... and my other 70 has NO CAP ! either...Hmmmmmm wonder why ??
All that said can somone PLEASE enlighten me on this mystery ???
What is the problem here ??
DO I have to go to a Caddy wrecker ??? or just put aluminum foil over it ???

I believe they used one from 50's caddy on those? My 70 MM has that type. I don't know if a superior and MM use same style but if they do I have a new one. I buy them when they come up on ebay.

drop down to the farm fleet store and pick one up it's a outside ear implement cap. don't forget the gas tank is a 58 caddy tank. they use that from 59 to 70. changed the tank in 71. but the cap is not GM

drop down to the farm fleet store and pick one up it's a outside ear implement cap. don't forget the gas tank is a 58 caddy tank. they use that from 59 to 70. changed the tank in 71. but the cap is not GM

What if we dont have a farm implement store around ?? Actually ...

We have one but all they sell now is western clothing,boots and livestock feed.......:)

Gas caps are next to impossible to figure out what it correct. The cap on my 1963 Chrysler Pinner was in bad shape, and it took about 4 tries buying caps on eBay till I found one that would work. Your best bet is to find someone that has the correct one, and get some pictures of it with measurements and then start looking. Those type of caps haven't been used in many years, and eBay seems to be the last resort for finding them.
Post a picture of the tank filler neck end with some measurements, and I will look through my "stash" of wrong caps.

Get the photo and measurements and I can check the shops around here. I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week.

Get the photo and measurements and I can check the shops around here. I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week.

James

Thanks for your help....

Here is a picture...and the measurements are OUTSIDE-2 1/4" INSIDE-1 1/2"

002.jpg

Last one I bought that will work is DGF-37 made by Dole Value Company from Morton grove, Il. Don't think they are still around but anyway if you can't find one I might let go of this one.

Danny,
Thank you for the information.....

I took a look on E-bay...but nothing...I did find a "G-37" by STANT...it was listed for a early Packard and Caddy to 58..??

Not sure if it might be close....at least it has a "G" in it...lol.......
but the guy only shows the top of the cap......so does not help much....

Thanks again....:)
Jim

Your going to laugh but it works.. My 69 Superior came to me with a radiator cap being used as a gas cap.. I have had it for 4 years now and have not bothered to change it out because the damn thing works.. If all else fails put the cap on there from your radiator.. If it fits order a cap for that radiator and you have something you can drive for now.. The one on mine actually locks down tight..

they are just a standard out side ear cap that is vented. but the parts boys in a store that doesn't deal with anything but cars and then only 10 years old and up can't find one. out here any implement dealer has them on the shelf. guess I had bet stop in a buy a bunch and start selling them

No problem James. Ya can return the favor by letting me know where to find the courtesy light lense for my 63 M&M. Its the back attendant seating area light, located in the foot well.

Attachments

• DSCN1257_717.jpg
    DSCN1257_717.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 107

I know Blain's Farm & Fleet is big up North where I'm from, but pretty much anywhere South of the Mason Dixie line, no one has heard of it. A semi decent alternative to Farm & Fleet if you don't have those where you're at would be Tractor Supply Store.

Abe

Thank You.....

Just wanted to thank everyone for their HELPFUL input.....
After piecing together the puzzle ,I was able to find a gentleman that had 3.....
So I gotten lucky !!;)

Thanks again....

Jim

Its not a Cadillac or whatever

I've spent a lot of time explaining to people at parts stores that car may have Cadillac emblems BUT.......I believe each coach builder kept using the same parts year after year with no regard to what Caddy was doing with its own assembly line. Just my opinion...in other words, good luck.

Back