1958 Cadillac Rear Bumper

Ok, I bought a bumper for the 1958 Cadillac M&M Combo that I bought and the step peices do not fit onto a normal 58 rear bumper.

Does anyone know what the story is?

Art and I didn't figure it out yet. It seems in 58, this round bumper (that the step pieces fit on properly) was only on the commercial cars.

The standard 58 bumper has a concave lip that curves in. The Ambulance/Hearse 58 bumper is convex and rounded.

Here is the one I do have that I got from the salvage yard in Idaho before it was shipped

picture.php

And here is the one I need.

picture.php

Last edited:
I wonder if it is the same profile as a '54-'55 standard bumper. I can compare profiles on a '55 standard and '57 CC later this week.

What are "step pieces" you are referring to?

If actual step above license surround, this section changed according to both coach builder and model. Some coach builders offered both an additional cast step as you've shown (which was more widely used on combinations) and a drop down step generally seen on ambulances (although buyer could have opted either).

The issue you've run into is that '57-'58 CC rear bumper ends intersect the center blade at a lower point than a passenger car to allow for rear loading door.

Maybe James or Jim Jordan can confirm is an earlier rear bumper was adapted. It is my belief '57-'58 CC rear bumper is exclusive to those years.

I just did some Google/Flicker images searching. Yes friends that is the correct bumper bent down but the right one. I saw the same one without the step on a 58 in the images. The bumper bar itself and the center guards are 54 Cadillac and used on 54 procars as well. They must have adapted the 58 ends to the 54 bar parts. The step is interesting I could not find a similar one. Looks to be cast aluminum made for the job wonder if thats an item made for the body builder or a commercial part?

I have 2 commercial chassis rear bumpers you're looking for that I would sell. Regular 58 Cadillac bumpers won't line up even close. I needed one and thought maybe I could use the one off the stock 58 temporarily and that was a no go. Unfortunately I do not have any extra bumper ends. All they would be good for is cores if you were to have them redone or just to pop on a bomber car. Both are solid steel. One has a bad dent in it and the other has a hitch welded to it. I also have the 58 hood V you were looking for. I have a 58 cad 2 door for parts. If you're interested, shoot me an email.

sorry guys that is nothing like the the two 58 bumpers I have here. I have one off a superior and one off a Eureka. both of them are rounded and stright. what you have there from the yard is a car bumper and it does not belong on the CC.. the one pictures is most likly a MM exclusive one. here is one on a 57 and 58 MM and one shot of your car earler in it's life.

Attachments

• 1957 MM 1.jpg
    1957 MM 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 644
  • 1958 MM 2.jpg
    1958 MM 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 813
  • 1958 MM Art Greagery owner.jpg
    1958 MM Art Greagery owner.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 578
Pete, the additional width you mentioned is part of cast aluminum '57-'58 CC bumper ends themselves. There are not extra pieces between bumper ends and blade as used on '59-'63 CC bumpers.

Now expanding my previous statements yesterday, '57-'58 CC bumper class is in session. Again, straight hearses and flower cars did not receive steps (unless buyer requested).

Better angles and higher resolution than what has already been posted of MM cast step on an OK friend's coach.

14723674151_d4d6004ee0_b.jpg

14703857576_06cb4d4d63_b.jpg

MM drop step as seen on Richwoods, MO rig before heading to Bo Pounds collection.

14540228378_efc0eab2ae_b.jpg

Eureka used a much wider cast step as shown on this well known rig. Only coach builder in this year range that had almost a full door width step - others copied in early '60s.

I do not have pic of their drop step handy, nor is one clearly shown in Eureka book.

14726563072_dbf1431a6a_b.jpg

Both S&S examples are crappy. At least you can tell their added step was stamped (and not cast like the rest), even misshapen on this TX combination.

14540428847_597b5cd465_b.jpg

'57 (taken upon delivery in '56) Allenhurst, NJ rig is cut off. It appears closer to Superior than MM in drop step design.

14726575572_62ed35ed39_b.jpg

Lastly, Superior. Their cast step was smallest between coach builders, as seen on one of mine.

14723696061_fc67a5a207_b.jpg

Superior drop step as seen on James Shao's rig before in his possession.

14726581812_a63b1b2985_b.jpg

As with '57-'58 passenger bumper ends, '57-'58 CC variety remain the same castings although stainless inserts change from closed to open '57 to '58 allowing exhaust pass through.

14706280696_24b7ed6619_c.jpg

DSC06908.jpg

DSC06909.jpg

DSC06905.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

Here are one shot each of a '55 75 bumper and '57 CC and a cardboard cutout made from another '55 bumper at the outer end against both the '55 and '57 CC bumpers.

steps were a option you could order or not on the ambulance. each builder had there own set of steps. as your pictures show.

Jeremy,

Could you email me or PM me or even converse in this thread? I sent you a few messages about maybe getting one of yours from you.

Thanks,
Rich

post a pictures of what you have, the step was a add on. some required a center cut some a hole or two drilled. but you still need to have the commercial chassis bumper to start out with. you can see how then modified the rear bumper in each of the pictures posted. but your only interested in the MM as that is what you have.

57 58 rear bumper

OK-- I am the new guy here but I have been playing with Cadillacs and 50's cars a LONG time. TRUE, the rear bumper on the commercial chassis is nothing like those used on production cars. HOWEVER, if you use some thinking, you will see the center pieces are real close to a 55 Packard rear bumper. NOW if you had a complete 55 Packard rear and the 57/58 passenger car ends-- get out the torch and welder and do what you must do to make up for "correct" bumper.
There, now tell me what you think.... OH, the 54-55 Cadillac Eldorado rear bumper center is sorta-kinda the same shape, BUT way expensive!

You have to watch it the 55 Senior Packard rear bumper has a 1 1/2 inch Mldg. across the width of the bumper on the car side of it. The 56 Senior does not have this mldg. and I agree could be a candidate for the conversion use Google Images and you will see what I mean. However it would seem using the 54 55 Cadillac bar would be easier.

Back