Superior Landaus

Learning as I progress looking to replace missing landau irons on my '60 Crown.

Superior used two different landaus starting in '59, looks like through (at least) '62. After coming up with 3 sets of landaus in the last year, each incorrect for my coach, I began looking more closely and can not fill in all the blanks.

This is the style I keep coming across (which incidentally appear the same as '57-'58 and may be identical):

dsc04216y.jpg

Each of the sets I've found have come off '59 or '60 non-Crown models and I expect the same was used until '62. (In '63 the design changed.) Initially I thought Superior was using up existing '57-'58 stock but have seen too many post-'58 coaches for this to be accurate. Here is the best representation showing each, both correct, from a borrowed photo (Brady's Crown on right):

suplan1.jpg

So, why wouldn't Superior have used the same landau when new styling was introduced in '59? Did the increased space between C and D pillars on Crowns necessitate a longer (and center to center) landau iron measurement? I've not thought to measure them previously until more puzzle pieces revealed themselves.

looks like they did the balancing act with the crown. with out the plated sail panel the bars would need to be longer to fill the space. superior was all about trim they had that down pat

Attila, my 64 has weird bars also, I will take a photo of the one I have that came with my car, it is broken but it is mostly there. If you have extra's that don't fit you correct application, I would be interested in purchasing a set from you in the future if no one else is interested in them for their own coach.

if yours is broken they can be repaired. from what I hear they silver solder them. then of course you will need to re plate. not cheap at all the last set i had done ran around 900 bucks.

Landau bows

I'm sue it had everything to do with giving as much distinction to the beauty and flow of the Crown model as possible, with actual dimensions and uniqueness both playing roles in the use of different landau bows.

Superior did this again in 1970 when special landau bows were used on the Crown Limited (and Crown Sovereign as the years progressed) models. Tom McPherson offered a choice of three different landau bows on his Canadian-built Eurekas.

All that said, I think the Superior bows at the center of Attila's question here are the most similar looking, lending for the excellent question of...why?

Back