1970 Checker Marathon Medicar

Ed, it's the fact that the original interior has been replaced with a party-limo interior with a bar - and the front roof that has been replaced with plexiglas. And the custom wood dashboard. That's what the non-factory modification is.

The body is factory.

The guy even says in his ad that he knew there were less than 100 built (I've never heard a figure on that to know if that's correct but sounds logical) and yet he still customized it. Who would buy a Checker party limo?

Ed, it's the fact that the original interior has been replaced with a party-limo interior with a bar - and the front roof that has been replaced with plexiglas. And the custom wood dashboard. That's what the non-factory modification is.

The body is factory.

The guy even says in his ad that he knew there were less than 100 built (I've never heard a figure on that to know if that's correct but sounds logical) and yet he still customized it. Who would buy a Checker party limo?

And this is such as shame the interior was ruined on this one

Its really a shame that this was done, especially since the owner knows how rare it is. Here is what it should look inside.
1970 Checker Medicar 4.jpg

1970 Checker Medicar 5.jpg

1970 Checker Medicar ad 2.jpg

What is the strange looking round device on the right side inner fender?

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 124
Technically speaking, the "strange looking round thing" is the vaporizer for the propane fuel system. High pressure liquid propane comes in from the fuel tank through the small line on the top. The vaporizer uses engine coolant (coming through the red line in front - along with a return line that is not visible) to heat the liquid propane to above it's boiling point, turning it to a gas. It also regulates the now propane vapor to the correct pressure, which exits through the line on the bottom and is fed to the mixer assembly, which takes the place of the carburetor, and is mounted below the air cleaner. It allows for a much smaller fuel tank (necessary in on-the-road vehicles), as you don't need a tank with lots of space for the vapor to form naturally. That particular vaporizer is manufactured by the Impco Company, and is rated for applications of up to approx. 325 hp. And I probably have a spare one on my service truck, if you need it… ;)

Back