Who has a '59 Cadillac ambulance?

Make that a 1:1 scale '59 Cadillac ambulance wisecrackers. :p

59mmlights2.jpg

I've been tasked with finding red glass fog lenses for a museum's restoration. (Painting clear glass lenses is not an option.) First step is acquiring their respective part numbers, which are different than clear. El Presidente hasn't located them in old parts books yet. Doesn't appear that either of Dan Skivolocke's '59 ambulances have this option and I can't think of anyone else offhand to ask. Help?

And on the random small percentage offshoot you have these lenses or know someone that does, name your price. Thanks! :)

Appreciate that tidbit Mike. Clear lenses (and spare bumper shown) are in my storage and not present, so I can't provide diameter at the moment. It is my understanding is that they are Cadillac specific - and asymmetrical. The outer lens on one bumper end is the inner lens on opposite side; marked "R" and "L" to illustrate.

dsc03513cx.jpg

On the ambulance being restored, both inner lenses were red.

Having checked my 1968 parts book, I can find no reference to the red lenses, which means that they were no longer available in 1968. It does show the fog light lenses, that mount in the inner holes of the bumper, and those fog light lenses are both right and left part numbers. I can't say that the right outer will fit on the left inner for certain, but I do know that the reason for the different part numbers for the fog lens is the optics involved in projection of the light in a straight beam when the lens itself is set at an angle. I know that the only way to get this part number is off of a lens if one is molded into the glass, or finding a 1959 issued Cadillac parts book. I will continue to search. Paul

I was at the shop so i took the liberty of measuring the lenses in my personal 59. All 4 of mine show the same part number. They are plastic however. Just trying to give any help i can to assist a procar resto. Hope this helps. Id say they are most certainly Cadillac specific. Here's measurements anyway.

2012-09-14_16-11-50_520.jpg

2012-09-14_16-14-02_289.jpg

2012-09-14_16-14-14_819.jpg

EDIT: It may be worth noting, i did find that i could interchange inside and outside lenses by rotating the lens 180°. Also drivers side and passenger side. For what its worth.

Thanks to Nicholas Yassan the clear glass parts numbers cast into lenses:

5949972 rights
5949971 lefts

Now if/when red glass lens parts numbers are uncovered they can be compared. ;)

Update:

Had an in person pow-wow with involved parties for fabrication. Happy to relay that faithful '59 glass fog light lens reproductions are officially underway. Red ambulance lenses may have propelled this project forward but clear glass lenses will also be available. I also plan on doing a very limited run in purple glass for funeral coaches.

Although my CAD skills are merely fair (slow plus using a 10 year old program), I am tackling initial files. Once my skillset has been exceeded files will be passed along to a CAD proficient designer for completing. A CT mold making machinist who's on board will then work his magic. An OH glass foundry will subsequently pour lenses and handle finishing work.

No timeline (aiming for late summer) nor pricing yet. No deposit either. Expressing interest (color/quantity) however would help with initial product runs. :)

Back