Four ambulances, one sale... OMG!

One needs to remember how Ebay auctions work. The reserve price is a magical number set by the seller where the item sells any less is a no sale. Ebay puts a twist to it you see here. The rigs were bid to $21,111.11 now if the bidder had put in $25k the bid would have gone up only $50.00 because the reserve had not been met. The current high bidder put in an amount of $35000.00 or more so the reserve of $35000.00 was broken thus it automaticley went to $35K now for it to advance anymore someone will have to bid over $35K or whatever number over $35k the reserve breaker bidder put in. With regard to shill bidding usually shill bidders can be spotted by their low feedback in this case the high bidder m***i has 938 Feedback score not at all low so there is a good chance the bid is real. If the bid is not real and the sale does not go through the seller is stuck for the Ebay commission unless the sale is terminated.My personal opinion is just under $9k each is a bit strong for what is here but I don't make the market perhaps this is todays market it remains to be seen.

In looking closely at the lower body panels on all 3 of the '75s and '76s, you will see that all 3 have had extensive rust "repairs" aka extensive bondo applied liberally. VERY wavy lower body lines. The red '75 has a lot of rust in the lower fenders and elsewhere. The '77 transport looks to be the straightest of the 4. Typically photos are flattering. Based on what I am seeing in the seller's photos, I would not take the 3 hour trip East to go look at them given the current price.

Last edited:
Did a little more research on the Ebay progress of the bidding. On 5/30/15 there were two bids placed for the sole purpose of finding the reserve then they were immeadatly retracted. A bidder with 286 feedbacks bid $202001. at 11:45 and retracted it two minutes later then at 12:51 another bidder with 805 feedbacks bid $222000. and retracted less than a minute later. This way each found out the reserve after finding out they cancelled their big bids. Ebay knows this game and if a bidder does it too often they get kicked off. But it would seem there is interest from people who perform. Not the zero feedback game players.

Four Ambulances, One Sale

Cary wins the Kupie doll for recognizing the Capital City cars. These belonged to Marty Hutt, son of Bob Hutt (late owner of Capital City Ambulance in Des Moines, Iowa). Marty owned Old Capitol Ambulance in Iowa City from 1981 to '93, and used the best of the fleet of Criterions from the sale of Capital City Ambulance of Des Moines in the early '80's. At some point around '86-'87 he changed the company name to Ambulance Network. He also ran some Wheeled Coach Type II vans. The 1973 M/M Criterion prototype that I bought in '82 was from Marty in Iowa City. I'm not sure where the '77 Superior came from, but I know Marty wanted one after we attended the 1988 PCS meet in Decatur, Il., and he fell in love with the downsized units that were there. When Marty sold Ambulance Network in '93, the new owners didn't want the old Cadillacs but took them anyway as they were part of the sale. Coralville is just to the west of Iowa City off I-80. I would include a picture of the '75 Criterion, but I'm not sure how to do that anymore.

Cary wins the Kupie doll for recognizing the Capital City cars. These belonged to Marty Hutt, son of Bob Hutt (late owner of Capital City Ambulance in Des Moines, Iowa). Marty owned Old Capitol Ambulance in Iowa City from 1981 to '93, and used the best of the fleet of Criterions from the sale of Capital City Ambulance of Des Moines in the early '80's. At some point around '86-'87 he changed the company name to Ambulance Network. He also ran some Wheeled Coach Type II vans. The 1973 M/M Criterion prototype that I bought in '82 was from Marty in Iowa City. I'm not sure where the '77 Superior came from, but I know Marty wanted one after we attended the 1988 PCS meet in Decatur, Il., and he fell in love with the downsized units that were there. When Marty sold Ambulance Network in '93, the new owners didn't want the old Cadillacs but took them anyway as they were part of the sale. Coralville is just to the west of Iowa City off I-80. I would include a picture of the '75 Criterion, but I'm not sure how to do that anymore.

It amazes me that the current owners have stored them for 22 years and have never so much as started them if they had no interest in owning them in the first place. They must have an over abundance of storage space! I wish I had that "problem"!

Corryville is just across the street from iowa city as I recall it. there was a cars sales lot just east of there and I have see the red and white one sitting out there as we fly by. never could figure out the exit or the service road they were on off of I-80.

If someone is able to do a site visit and look at them would love to hear what kind of shape they are live. And not to worry, no bids coming from me.

Being I know several of the bidders including myself I don't feel any funny bidding going on and I have had several email communications with seller. Seems straight up guy.

Those 4 rigs should pretty much fill a transport for you Danny! Best of luck on these 4 Iowa cars!

For Ken Elliott so we can both feel old :D Circa 1988 Decatur IL.....it was a cool rainy day.......

11055262_828325603919983_3806586039352161925_o.jpg

Image Hosted from FB :thumbsup:

Does anyone know anything about the history of the red '75 Lifeliner? I was just curious as to whether it was something other than red originally. It just seems a little odd in that it has tan interior rather than red. Granted you could get it built any way you wanted, but it's unusual.

It just seems a little odd in that it has tan interior rather than red. Granted you could get it built any way you wanted, but it's unusual.

A tan interior was popular with many exterior colors.

It was also used on many white stock/demo units so it wouldn't clash with whatever color the new might have chosen.

I wish I could buy the whole lot, just because I have a love for any cars that were originally owned by Capital City Ambulance since I now live in the Des Moines area, and they were a known service who loved Criterions and even bought the Criterion prototype. I would love to write a Tom McPherson like type company history of the former Capital City Ambulance service, as I have the distinct impression that the entire Des Moines metro area takes great pride in our EMS services which I truly believe stemmed from Capital City's pride in their fleet and services.

Man oh man I wish I was wealthy!!!

Four Ambulances, one sale

Thanks for the reminder Cary. Marty told me that they had removed the Mars Aurora Borealis light and the stretcher compartment on this car so they could get it through the tunnel at the old Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City for football game stand-bys. Criterions even look good on a rainy day.

Back