Procar frame interchange?

I was looking over one of my '76 S&Ss, and have come to the conclusion that the frame is beyond repair - While I do have two, and could combine the two into one - the hope is to eventually save both of them. I checked out the '72 MM that is in town here, and while it was little hard to fully inspect the frame, it did appear to be solid.

The question for the experts is: Is the '72 Commercial Chassis frame the same as '76? (Maybe the better question is what years are interchangeable? I'm thinking at least '71 to '76 should be the same.)

Thanks,
Jacob

my guess would be the 73 to 76 would be the same. One has to remember that the 5 mph crash proof bumpers required a frame change. That being said, what is so wrong with the frame it can't be fixed. Pitting rust is not a good answer. Me if you can go out there and place a jack under the center pillar and jack it up without kinking it it's good to go. Power wash spray on some miracle paint and go about your business. One hole rusted threw on a spot requires a patch welded in. Scaly rust would be a thought, but if you have ever changed a body of this size on a frame you know the hassle. a needle scalier and a hoist, then paint would be a better option. But that's my thoughts

Unfortunately, this one is a little beyond needle scaling - there is a large piece (on the passenger side, behind the front tire, right where it curves back and runs along the rocker panel) that is nonexistent. Then, there are some holes about two feet further back from that, which I'm avoiding digging at currently. I think the only way to fix it would be to cut it out and weld in another piece of frame.

Attachments

• frame rust.jpg
    frame rust.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 171
  • frame damage 2.jpg
    frame damage 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 172
Frames

Easier to change frame. Remember have 73,and two 76s in yard

73 might work , the front frame rails have a bracket the impact bumper bolts to,it looks the same as 72 and down frame other than the adapter bracket for the bumper . 74-76 front and rear frame rails have a completely different ends than the 73 and down frames due to the front and rear impact bumpers.

73 will be different firewall foward it would work but wouldn't be the same frame if you want it stock. Or better yet sell me one and that way you only have one to fix, haha.

looking at that, the first thing I would do is, get the biggest hammer I could swing. and see if that damage is only on the one side and how far up or down if goes. if both sides or up around the suspension are bad, change the frame if the damage is only the side that was buried in the dirt change that rail or repair on one side might be more practical. but it better be the one body you hart is set on finding. some cars are descend to be only parts cars.

you come up with a parts car to swap frames I know of a man that could use that front stub and a decent engine tyranny combination.

1970 (group 7.003 part #1495661)

1971 (group 7.003 part #1496604)*

1972 (group 7.003 part #1496604)*

1973 (group 7.003 part #1600904)

1974 (group 7.003 part #1602704)

1975 (group 7.003 part #1605204)*

1976 (group 7.003 part #1605204)*

1977 First Design (group 7.003 part #1609452)

1977 Second Design (group 7.003 part #1612701)*

1978 Second Design (group 7.003 part #1612701)*

1979 Second Design (group 7.003 part #1612701)*

* indicates that the part is used for more than one year. Information posted is from the 10/76 and 12/78 Cadillac Motor Division Parts Books. Please do your own research to determine the accuracy of this information.

The Friends of the Professional Car Society, and its posters assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the posted information. Please see our Terms of Service for further details. The Terms of Service link can be found at the bottom right hand side of every page of the website.

Back