patiemce

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
patience built wasn't Rome in a day. we have had the Monti back for a couple weeks now. I went up got it took it to the GMC garage. took them 3 days to change the BMC (the original problem) and the TMC a inherited problem from it's stay over at the Chevy place. runs like a top again. now to remember to drive it some.

picked up the tyranny for the 64 Tuesday. so we can get it and the engine one unit and back in the car. then get stated on the ten thousand little things you need to find and hook up to get a car derivable. once again my guess it would be some time in the 70s the last time this car drove under it's own power.

Walt was kind enough to send my a couple of pictures from his collection of the car back then. from the look of them I'm guessing it was after the Home sold it. I now have two pictures that show different trim on either side. so with choices like that I can back up any decision I make. one shows what looks to impala trim from the door back with a blunt end the other Biscayne trim with the end being a fender molding. i need one more fender molding and we can do that. but it gives me a idea what I'm gunning for.

Attachments

• 64 Pinner Chev 002.jpg
    64 Pinner Chev 002.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 245
?

I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but why was such a long wheelbase required for a first call vehicle?

It is not that long. Just a hair over 20 ft. If it had commercial glass you would think it was a childs hearse. It is a 30 inch stretch of a 4 door wagon. You can stand flat foot and look across the top. It look longer then it is. But only one mirror on the left explains a number of marks in the back. A lot of back up till you here the crunch with this one

I believe one of the Pinner’s said that the first picture you posted was “as delivered”, possibly taken as it was being delivered. The second picture was taken at Dwayne’s old place when he had it. There is another 3/4 view of the car from the rear pictured on page 136 of Gregg Merksamer’s professional car book if you happen to have it handy.

My '69 is 21' long, and easy to back up.. Now, the Pinner Chrysler was a real treat to back up, since you couldn't see out the back window. Only safe way was to have a spotter watching as you backed up.

It only came with a drivers side mirror, and in my effort to keep it all original, I took the truck mirrors off of it. Chrysler mirrors are worthless in there placement on the front fenders.

I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but why was such a long wheelbase required for a first call vehicle?

These service cars were multi-purpose vehicles. Besides first call duties, they were also used for transporting flowers and folding chairs to the cemetery for graveside or committal services.

I believe one of the Pinner’s said that the first picture you posted was “as delivered”, possibly taken as it was being delivered. The second picture was taken at Dwayne’s old place when he had it. There is another 3/4 view of the car from the rear pictured on page 136 of Gregg Merksamer’s professional car book if you happen to have it handy.

That first picture was taken by the second owner in his parents driveway in the 1980's.

It's just low as its shorter then most caddys. But it has a lot more blank panel then most the short door adds to the long look but to bring it into proper perspective. The spears after the wreath are the 3 quarter moldings off a a biscayne for that year. The long one is 2 door sedan the middle is 4 door wagon and the short one is 4 door sedan.
But as for a as delivered picture unless Jack ran into something on the way out it in the drive way or the second owner. Look high on the resr in that right side pictire. The look at the printing on the front fender. The baby moons i can't say but looks like something i would have done at 16.

Last edited:
Ed, it could not be in better hands.
(Being older) I agree with the moon's. To me the standard full cap of the day would be the appearance to best suit it.

Back