Introducing the 1962 C/B Ambulance

Why the amber rear roof lenses?

That is what I had handy at the time. I dropped and broke my one blue glass lens, and I only had one red lens at this time. Easy to change out, with only a screwdriver and 2 screws. These are New Old Stock lights, and the quality of the chrome is terrible. I will have to have them re-chromed over the winter.

I'm guessing they just look that way in the photo, but if not, certainly a good question.

If you look closely, you will see that the one on the right is red, and the one on the left is amber.

Do the rears blink, or are they steady burn?

They are hooked up to the flasher that operates the front tunnel lights. All the lights alternate between right and left. Eventually, they will all be driven by a Julian McDermott mechanical alternating flasher. This is the "click clack click clack" flasher that we remember from those early days of ambulance service.

https://postimages.org/

It is an Arrow #39 glass lens. I can find them on eBay all the time, but usually they are either chipped, scratched, or the sellers think that they are gold. I can usually find them at the swap meets for around $3 -$5.
thanks Paul

That is what I had handy at the time. I dropped and broke my one blue glass lens, and I only had one red lens at this time. Easy to change out, with only a screwdriver and 2 screws. These are New Old Stock lights, and the quality of the chrome is terrible. I will have to have them re-chromed over the winter.

If you look closely, you will see that the one on the right is red, and the one on the left is amber.

They are hooked up to the flasher that operates the front tunnel lights. All the lights alternate between right and left. Eventually, they will all be driven by a Julian McDermott mechanical alternating flasher. This is the "click clack click clack" flasher that we remember from those early days of ambulance service.

https://postimages.org/

I happen to know a guy that has those red lenses! :D

Thats great having a copy!!! The last six of the VIN stamped no computers then, $10.50 for seat belts. The government was not building cars then. I looked at the front fenders V emblems not the 327 flags did a little head scratching and I don't think the flags started till 63. The State Police cars here was Chevie in 62 stick Bel Airs (Birch Gray) 327 and the Turnpike and some other areas had Overdrive. They were coming off just when I started cop cars the shift linkage and column were a disaster thank god your rig has PG. I look forward to seeing it in person one day.

Without some research, I can tell you exactly when Chevrolet started putting the V on the car bodies. It was in 1955, when Chevrolet introduced the V8 engine, they put the V symbol under the taillight of the 1955 Chevrolet cars. Exactly when they put the flag emblem on the fenders, it was in 1961. When the 348 V8 engine was introduced in I believe 1958, the started the crossed flags, although I don't remember where it was located on the 1958. In 1959, the V and crossed flags were on the hood of the car. In 1960, it moved to the grille, and in 1961 it went to the front fender. Starting in 1962, there were 3 V8 engines, the 283, the 327, and the newly introduced 409. Starting in 1962, the V with a small crown on top indicated a 283 engine, the twin flags indicated a 327 engine, and if you had the 409 engine, you got the twin flags, with the numbers 409 below the flags.
I have to say that when I first purchased the car, and I went to a Chevrolet website, a discussion started about the car having air conditioning, because it was believed by a very knowledgeable Chevrolet "historian" that the air conditioning wasn't available with the 300 HP engine until 1963. I was asked questions about various date codes on the car, and every date code was verified as being original to the car, including the date code on the back of the air conditioning compressor. All those dates proved that the air conditioning in my car was original to the car. More research brought to light that when my car was built, it was right around that time the Chevrolet released the air conditioning for the 300 HP engine cars.

Attachments

• 1960 Nomad.jpg
    1960 Nomad.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 305
It is an Arrow #39 glass lens. I can find them on eBay all the time, but usually they are either chipped, scratched, or the sellers think that they are gold. I can usually find them at the swap meets for around $3 -$5.
thanks Paul

I have pulled the red lenses and any good assemblies/parts off of every school bus that I have seen in a yard for the past 10 years. I don't mess with the amber lenses anymore.

Updated pictures......

Attachments

• MVC-001L.JPG
    MVC-001L.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 191
  • MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 179
  • MVC-002L.jpg
    MVC-002L.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 186
Back