For Sale 1971 3 Door Chevy Suburban

most likely a challenger. they loved those bug bumpers. but as they have lost the top unless you wanted a open sight seeing truck it's kind of worthless

Yes, a Challenger. What the seller started with before he butchered it:

image-vi.jpg

image-vi.jpg

After:
image2-vi.jpg

What a waste. As of 2013, seller stated he had kept "all the ambulance stuff."

"What a waste. As of 2013, seller stated he had kept "all the ambulance stuff."

Does that INCLUDE the roof/top ? :D

Last edited:
"...this vehicle came from Meeker County, CO" "...was used by a hospital then used for search and rescue..." (current owner)

Seller states that he has the top as well as everything else to make it back into an ambulance.

Says the top is aluminum and would need to be welded back together to be made whole...he said that the top is in three pieces.

Seller is not the party that dismantled this vehicle...it was broken down by a previous owner.

If it is all there and it is salvageable/useable, this may be a fun project...the price is way too high in my opinion though.

Like I said in the past...the owner can do whatever they want to their vehicle...I don't understand or agree, in this case, with the previous owners decision to radically modify this ambulance, but it was their decision to make. This could be a beautiful piece of history for us all to enjoy and benefit from. I don't agree, but I acknowledge that it is only the owner's decision to make with regard to what they choose to do with the vehicle.

There are some modified vehicles that look very nice with the modifications...that said, most of the time (imo) the modifications take away from the vehicle rather than improving it....The modifications that make the most sense to me are the modifications that are done for safety or mechanical worthiness...Added seat belts/shoulder belts...improved braking systems...added air conditioning (comfort)....a modern power train...

I think I got into this conversation on the chevy site. I was looking for a top for the stoner as some one had cut the lights off it. this one was to be a glass top. but of course it easier to dream and take apart then do the expensive things. surprised he got it this far. it would have to be a go look. if he chopped the top getting it off what else did he cut up?

For years and years now, this vehicle has been presented as a 15K mile original 4x4 suburban. If there is paperwork to back that up, the ambulance people are going to be up against a very active 67-72 Chevy truck community, and with a proper suburban top and regular bumpers on it $20k+ is not entirely out of line for a low mileage 4x4 'burb, regardless what it started out as. Grafting a donor top is a challenge, but it can be done. I doubt anyone will be getting this one for "half price" any time soon.

For years and years now, this vehicle has been presented as a 15K mile original 4x4 suburban. If there is paperwork to back that up, the ambulance people are going to be up against a very active 67-72 Chevy truck community, and with a proper suburban top and regular bumpers on it $20k+ is not entirely out of line for a low mileage 4x4 'burb, regardless what it started out as. Grafting a donor top is a challenge, but it can be done. I doubt anyone will be getting this one for "half price" any time soon.

Again, how long has it been for sale? ;)

that's what the man told me about 4 years ago.

I can't imagine any of the Suburban fans being interested in this, without a roof. One would have to have a whole Suburban to get a donor roof, and getting one and welding it in place sounds like more work than it's worth. It would be much easier to get another one. Similarly, we ambulance folks aren't going to be interested in it either, even if he really does have the roof and other interior items, that too will take a lot of work to return to original. Bet he didn't save the ornate window decals, there would have been no way to remove them other than with a razor blade.

I suspect this one is going to be a white elephant and will end up as a parts donor - low mileage engine, etc. - for other projects. And the unattached ambulance parts will end up in the dumpster. It's a shame.

I suspect this one is going to be a white elephant and will end up as a parts donor - low mileage engine, etc. - for other projects. And the unattached ambulance parts will end up in the dumpster. It's a shame.

What a shame, what a waste...what a loss to the hobby and EMS history in general.

Back