Wanted-Old Gas Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in an old gas pump in this square style if you run across one. I prefer to have the hose and handle with it and hopefully in decent condition.

That is a mid 1960's to very early 1970's pump. They are very collectible, and are also expensive. As you can see from the links provided the pumps don't go cheaply, unless they are in poor condition. They are also very heavy unless you remove the pump mechanism from the inside. Most times when you find them, it is better to buy one already restored than to have it restored. Restoration cost can be prohibitive. I have been looking for a air station for a number of years, and the price keeps going up beyond reasonable.

that one looks like a new one to me. you don't even have to pump it up into the globe yourself. I must have run a million gl thew one of them when I was a kid working for a buck a hr. that was back when you checked the oil, air and washed the windows. about 8 bucks to fill a car up then to.

Saw this one in an Antique Mall in Toledo Ohio. There was a square one in the same booth (might be it in the picture, not sure). Didn't document the price, but I believe they were both well under $1000.

pump.jpg

the good

Richard,
The good thing here is you are looking for one of the more common type pumps. Like Paul said, these were very plentiful in the 70s. You might check with the local gas stations as to who supplies them or services their pumps.
I got mine when the local warehouse for a gas supplier closed the in town facility. It dates to the 30s. It used to sit in the garage of a funeral home so they wouldn't have to take the hearse and limo out in public to the stations the rest of us used. Hope you find one close to home.
Mike

Looks like Brady had one sitting behind his garage and will be sending me pics. I'm confident Brady and I have a deal. Thanks ya'll!!

Saw this one in an Antique Mall in Toledo Ohio. There was a square one in the same booth (might be it in the picture, not sure). Didn't document the price, but I believe they were both well under $1000.

pump.jpg

The round Mobil one would look great in front of my garage, if it were not for the distance that I would have to go to pick it up.. Not the type of thing that you would want to ship...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back