Coaster siren

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I'm planning on replacing a siren on my 36 Ford rescue truck. It is too big. I had to install it hanging from the chassis and it looks stupid. I though it would go in an area on the frame where the battery was originally- but it won't fit. My problem is that I bought a used replacement- a smaller siren; a "The General Detroit Corp" type 352. It came with the wires attached- but they are about 12 gauge. The siren I took off has no markings but it is rather large and has the twin tones. The old siren ran from a 3 gauge wire to and from a solenoid.
1. Should I get rid of the solenoid and put in a fuse?
2. Should I run a 3 gauge wire to this replacement?
3. If not, then should I also get rid of the 3 gauge wire that goes TO the solenoid?
Other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!!!
**The twin tone will probably go in my 69 MM Classic 48.

As Paul said tough without pictures. That said here we go #1 DO NOT get rid of the selonoid. #2 the "smaller" siren you are replacing th big one with will run fine on lighter guage wire #12 if thats whats on it. #3 Hook the #12 to the siren side of the selonoid as it was with the old one.#4 keep the length of the wire from the selonoid to the siren as short as possible.#5 Make sure where you mount the "smaller' siren you have a good clean mount to the chassis to provide a good ground. If thi is not possible then run some more of the #12 from the siren case to the negative battery terminal or where the negative cable is attached to the chassis. Questions PM me.

Thanks Peter

Thanks Peter! The photo shows two solenoids. The lower one is the starter (educated guess) and the upper one is for the siren. Your solution is easy enough!
Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• VoxPeuQRQHm+Hog138QMow.jpg
    VoxPeuQRQHm+Hog138QMow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 159
Fuse= Most definitely, as close to the battery as is possible because vehicle electrical fires SUCK.
A fuse may give you some problems due to the nature of the load, so if fuses blow substitute a short fusible link wire. Initial current on this load will be high.

If it's a 6 volt system remember currents will be double what is normal on 12 volt systems, wire accordingly.

Also I STRONGLY suggest installing a diode across the solenoid coil to suppress spikes going to the switch and lengthen switch life.

Back