Electric Fuel Pump

The more extra stuff you add the more problems you have. I sure tossed a lot of them in the trash. You set the car up as it left the factory with components in good working order it will give you a lot of trouble free miles. The only thing i will change is the solid state points. You just can't get decent one today.

I gotta agree with Ed unless you can find a modern stand alone pump as Ed said you are making a problem. We are having from sitting electric pump failures in Crown Vics and GM products. The wonderful Federal Corn Gas eats up the pumps especially when so equipped vehicles sit. I have not tried it but am told Stabil will help. An NOS regular mechanical fuel pump made 40 years ago will fail due to corn gas eating the diaphram. My 56 Packard Caribbean Hardtop has a modern production electric pump to help on starting which I switch off once its running and the mechanical pump was rebuilt with a modern diaphfram and valves again no issues. Using old stock equipment you are on your own some hold up others fail. This modern gas is bad stuff.

I have one in my '73 S&S, close to the gas tank,along with the stock mechanical one in its usual place. Makes starting much easier if she hasn't been run in a few days or when the engine is heated up.:thumbsup:

fuel pump

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have a mechanical stock replacement, but like the idea of an electric in line for just the reasons mentioned. We'll see how it goes.

where rebuld mechanical pump?

I gotta agree with Ed unless you can find a modern stand alone pump as Ed said you are making a problem. We are having from sitting electric pump failures in Crown Vics and GM products. The wonderful Federal Corn Gas eats up the pumps especially when so equipped vehicles sit. I have not tried it but am told Stabil will help. An NOS regular mechanical fuel pump made 40 years ago will fail due to corn gas eating the diaphram. My 56 Packard Caribbean Hardtop has a modern production electric pump to help on starting which I switch off once its running and the mechanical pump was rebuilt with a modern diaphfram and valves again no issues. Using old stock equipment you are on your own some hold up others fail. This modern gas is bad stuff.

I replaced my old mechanical pump that was squeaking loudly with a NOS one and it failed next day. I use ethonal free gas because in the past I have had to replace pumps and carberators (Edlerbrock) on both my 62 Eureka and 59 convertible. Where can I send my mechanical pump for rebuild with beter diafram?

Back