1963 MM Combination (ambulance modification))

early years

Abe asked if I could share some early history and pics of the 63.
Originally purchased by the Weisenger-Tygart Funeral home in Mount Vernon Indiana, in November 1962. In December 74 it was sold to the Poindexter Funeral home in Linton Indiana, where it remained until 2006, when it was sold to PCS member Ted Duncan when the home closed. When I was researching the car I found their ad in one of my old Hemming's from August 2006. They describe how it was carefully stored out of service for 23 years.
The attached pics were supplied to me by Ted when I initially inquired about the car, following his conversion.
It was truly a striking car, especially when one sees how solid the body was preserved.
I will leave it others as to their personal preference in appearance. To me both work.

Attachments

• 63-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    63-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 283
  • 63-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    63-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 63-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    63-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 63 service warranty (600 x 275).jpg
    63 service warranty (600 x 275).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Most likely the dead battery is because they failed to shut off the batteries after they shut off the car. If no one tried to jump start the car then all it will need is a slow charge to the batteries, and they will come back as good as they were before they went dead. If there is a fast charge on a dead battery, it will shorten the batteries life expectancy.
When my car came back from Ed having painted it, the truckers shut the batteries off before they shut the engine off, and ruined the alternator. It took me about a month to get new diodes for the alternator, with the assistance of Kevin O'Connell, who knew of a shop that had lots of obsolete parts. That shop went out of business, and Kevin didn't know of its closing, and many of the obsolete parts went into a dumpster. If I were shipping a car today, I would run a cable from the battery directly to the starter, so there is no chance of alternator damage by people that are not familiar with battery shut off switches.

"Most likely the dead battery is because they failed to shut off the batteries after they shut off the car".

Paul, bang on. Either that or it was shipped with the key in the Alt position. I was not happy, as I wanted this to be as good as an experience as it could be for the new owner. I specifically went over the battery shut off and where to put the key in the off position for shipping.
I have been fortunate enough (?) to collect old cars for over thirty years, and this was the first one I have ever sold. I wanted it to be as perfect as possible for the new owner.

PS: the 76XL is for sale, if any interest out there. Will potentially allow me to start a new project.

Back