Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Will a UHaul trailer work?

Trying desperately to figure out how to get the '77 M-M I want home this Saturday from about 8 hours away. Tow drivers wanting to charge more than I can pay (understandably), im afraid of using Uship because if they dont show im screwed and not sure if it would be any cheaper anyways. So basically im left with the option of getting a 14' box truck and Auto Transport trailer from UHaul. The thing is I was wondering if any body has had experience with using their trailers to haul a hearse of my year. They say the max weight is 5290 (not sure exactly what the '77 weighs), must have maximum outside tire to tire width of 79.25" (not sure of '77) and have a maximum axle to axle wheelbase of 133" (I believe the '77 is 144.5). Im not sure what to do...any thoughts?? Thanks guys
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Account Suspended at user request

Ive done some crazy stuff with way small trailers and too big of loads. I tend to be...not exactly safe... But please. Trust me. That 77 WILL NOT fit on a uhaul trailer. Not in a million years. Too heavy, too wide, too long. Those trailers are very small. Meant for common mid sized vehicles. Youll be wasting you dough.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Yates For This Useful Post:
Danny Ryder (11-01-2012), Josh Rutter (11-01-2012), Rocky Pollard (11-02-2012), Scott Crittenden (11-01-2012), Wayne Krakowski (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Website Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I sold a '59 Oldsmobile sedan and the guy picked it up with a Uhaul trailer. The rear tires were less than a foot shy of falling off the back. Wouldn't reccomend it!

You can read more about Uhaul experiences on this thread: http://www.professionalcarsociety.or...ighlight=uhaul
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark N. Vineyard For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Website Member

Default Trailer

Dont try the U-haul, I know that in my area heavy equiptment rental companies have trailers to rent, that should have the length and axel weight to carry your car, if you hae a truck to pull the trailer.
Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Head For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 PM
PCS Member

Default Experience counts

Josh- you'd find after going a few feet that the car would be out of control. Trust me, unless you've done this for a few miles and it worked, I wouldn't plan this trip this way. It's not like it was a few miles away. This would be a big expense that I feel would fail. I know the bind you're in. It's no fun and sure can take the fun away from things. See if you can locate a shipping "broker" on line. They help truckers with empty trucks find a load for their way home. Good luck. I agree with all the comments you've gotten so far!
Kev

Member: PCS, SPAAMFAA, Florida Antique Bucket Brigade, AACA, FOP, K of C
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Lynch For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Just for fun, and reference, here's a Corvair on a standard Uhaul trailer. Now imagine a hearse in comparison to a corvair...

I know how frustrating it is to REALLY want a car and need a way to pick it up. I've been there so many times. But it will be even more frustrating to get all the way there and realize it wont fit. Even MORE frustrating to damage your hearse trying to get it home unsafely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Yates For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Website Member

Thanked 2,211 Times in 905 Posts
Default Towing Vs HAVING it towed...

Josh,

DO NOT go by the way of U-Haul.....UNSAFE At ANY speed......

I am in the process right now of having a Procar shipped from Colorado to California...And this will be the 4th time I have used U-ship....the first 3 went off without a hitch.....other then some early/late pick up/drop-off times....it is well worth the money...and you be surprised as to how reasonable the "brokers" get..

I say "brokers" because MOST of the bids on USHIP are by brokers who then in turn put it on their respective sites.......there have been a few "real" truckers who come in very reasonable since they dont have the brokerage fee........

Just check their feed-back and look up their "MC" number (Motor Car Carrier) toi see there record(s)....

Good Luck in your adventure !!

Jim
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Fischer For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012), Ken Novak (11-01-2012), Paul Yates (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Yea i shipped my 69 from Ohio with Uship. Just fill out all the info and let them bid. Cant hurt. They will start high. Just let them go. You can even set a target price to let them know around how much you want to spend. Jim is very right to tell you to look up the carriers MC #. Almost all of the shippers on Uship are Legit, but better safe than sorry. Its worth a shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Yates For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Website Member

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know the feeling. My Ambulance has been lingering out at Mr. Staruk's place since I acquired it in August. All the places I've called want in excess of 500 bucks to take it 50 miles. I am not in a position for that and it won't run so driving it is out of the question. I am bound and determined to get it before it snows!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Post For This Useful Post:
Josh Rutter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Website Member

Thanked 2,211 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Post View Post
I know the feeling. My Ambulance has been lingering out at Mr. Staruk's place since I acquired it in August. All the places I've called want in excess of 500 bucks to take it 50 miles. I am not in a position for that and it won't run so driving it is out of the question. I am bound and determined to get it before it snows!!!!!!
Pat,
If your only transporting it 50 miles...check with some local TOW operators who use flatbeds...I have hired local operators when its less then 100 miles...most will give you a set price that is usually pretty good..especially if they have multiple trucks that need the work..or even an indipendant who needs the work.....and for 50 miles it should not be anywhere near $500.00.....
Give it a shot......
Good Luck.....
Jim
PS Which unit did you buy from Jim ??
I purchased his 72 Superior 54 back in March.....and for that move I had a hard time to get someone to take it......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Fischer For This Useful Post:
Ken Novak (11-01-2012), Pat Post (11-01-2012)