Can old license plates be tracked?

How quickly is old registration information deleted from state databases?
Is it possible to find out who registered a particular number from many years ago with only a license plate number?
I have a 1969 Texas plate on my coach, but no evidence it was in Texas. I was told it spent it's working life in Kansas (although I am unable to confirm that either)

you will have better luck going to the locale DMV and making your inquiries there. it all depends on there Database. we were able to get the name of the previous owner in SD and the number of times it had been traded to get back into the state on the 70. but I was told in a year or two it will not be available for us ether

I have spent alot of time on my cars trying to find info. It varies from state to state. Minnesota has records for 8 years. I have send letters to arizona (10 years) nevada (10 years) california (3 years) texas (at the time about 20 years)
oklahoma (35 years) and South Dakota (at the time back to the '20s). You will have better luck with a title number rather than a licence plate. I have had luck with every state that I requested info from just by sending them a copy of the title with my name on it.

Back