Greene Rescue & Transport Splint

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
The Greene Rescue and Transport Splint is easy to compare to the Robinson Orthopedic Stretcher/Ferno Scoop Stretcher/Clamshell Stretcher. Best I can tell, it was introduced in 1969 and the patent came later in 1970. Breaks down in the middle and at both sides to size and apply to a patient. The large carrying case is advertised to be useful for covering the patient as well. The black zipped pouch includes all of the straps. The red zipper pouch includes a back support with integral straps that was intended for use in vehicle extrication - obviously a predecessor to the Kendrick Extrication Device (KED) that came later.

The Bridgeport, CT Post on 10APR1970. http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/60654498/ "The Newtown Woman's club has ordered a Greene Rescue and Transport Splint from A-l Ambulance Service, Inc. .... The splint will he used 'by the Newtown Ambulance Corps..."

With the appropriate straps in place, it can be used for hoisting (in vertical or horizontal positions), confined space rescue, etc. just like the Stokes basket could but Scoop could not. Here's a fun photo of the USCG doing just that. You can see later how the REEVES Sleeve and SKED Stretcher built on some of this idea too.

6143785364_021b1ac7cf_z.jpg

I personally like the sales brochure's drawings most of all - the device in intended use at the scene of a classic car accident with the station wagon ambulance in the background; again in the emergency room with the nursing staff in traditional attire including hat.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it besides keep it around. It's a great piece of prehospital history. Unfortunately, it's a bit big for a professional car ambulance - with all components in the case it's about 5 feet long and quite bulky/heavy.

Attachments

• GreeneAd.jpg
    GreeneAd.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
pretty much replaced by the folding scoop from ferno. as it has to many parts to easly to lose in the dark. but a piece of ems history.

Back