Assistance with Bench Seat

Need some technical advice for my front bench seat in my 72 Olds. The seat will move all the way forward but will only come back half way on the drivers side, passenger side is fine. When the drivers side stops it feels like you have hit a block wall and will not move. Thanks

Larri

There is a wire cable that goes from the release lever on the left side over to the right side to release the right side adjuster sliding mechanism. Sometimes the wire will come loose or stretch. The best way is to unbolt the seat and take it out, turn it over, and then clean, lubricate, and readjust the wire. On some seats, I have seen a "ring" attached to the underside of the seat that holds the wire from touching the floor pan. If this "ring" fails, then the wire is not held up high enough, and it is not able to get enough travel to pull the right seat release mechanism.

roller has come out of the holder. don't quot me on this but it should be a piece of round stock not the ball bearing type. they used both and I can't remember when they switch. they will come out of there slot when the plastic guide brakes and the seat rolls forward. the guide is what takes up the slack between the rails. you'll have to take the seat out "then find the stuff you left under there, that is really jamming things". look and see what side is not going back. they are the same seat track in all the full size gm cars so if you can't get it fixed and don't want to send it out here pick up a replacement one. the other thing that gets you with them is if the wire gets some slack in it and as the seat goes back it lets the latch fall into a slot. either way you need to pull the seat and turn it over to see what is going on.

Back