Ambulance wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde Swenson

PCS Member
Hello PCS members!

I am a newer member of this group and have been following the message board and learning a few things and becoming familiar with the information posted.

I don’t yet have my own car so that’s the reason for my post. I am looking to learn of other members who may be offering theirs for sale. I am looking for an ambulance to be a parade car and conversation piece back here in Minnesota. I want to be able to show a period correct car and have all the fun that goes along with showing it at the local shows! I continue to volunteer as an EMT and have a passion for professional cars of the late 60’s and 70’s and the rich EMS history they represent.

I had a job scare a few months back when I was looking hard at Bill M’s Cadillac and did not make any commitments then. I am back in the driver’s seat again and really want to try to find something for spring and be ready to play for the summer.

I have looked hard at maybe trying to find one to restore but find the comments of getting a rig that has already been done helpful. I would like to spend more up front and have something ready than not know where to begin.

So, Bill , let me know if you’re still in the market to sell and any others as well. I would love to chat with you. I also have chatted just briefly about Lee’s Lifeliner.

My biggest concern is now trying to determine what the honest value of these cars is. I have perused the net a lot and think I have a good idea but any thoughts you have are welcome. It’s a big investment and I want to make a good decision. When I speak to my friends they all tell me it’s not worth the money suggested for some of these cars but I am not sure I believe that. So, again, a little reassurance of what is a good price to offer and then I think I will be able to make a great deal and begin having some fun.

I’ve got a few more things to chat about but will hold that for another day. Please e-mail if you would like at:

clyde_s@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Clyde :)

P.S. Not sure if this link has been posted before but it's a website that collects information on all the ads for various types of cars for sale on the web. I have the site set to ambulances but you can search anything.

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=ambulance&loc=&fil=&ys=&ye=&submit=++++go++++

It would be helpful if you were to give an idea of what you want to spend, and the type of ambulance that you would like. There is a wide variety of choices between cars of the 1960' & 1970's. Some people prefer Cadillacs by Superior, and other might like Cadillacs by Miller Meteor. The year of the vehicle might also influence the price as well as condition.
One thing that I do know is that a lot of these vehicles are never put up for sale publicly, but are sold from one PCS member to another. Many members have said that they will only sell a car to a fellow member, so I would suggest that membership definitely has its rewards. You will also find cars that belong to PCS members that are for sale in our quarterly award winning magazine, that are never listed on the website. The reason for this is that many of our members are not of the generation that use computers.
I will keep your request in mind should I hear of any cars coming on the market.
Paul

I would answer this way in regards to the "value" of these vehicles. Due to their unique nature, and the fact that they mean different things to different folks the value of any given vehicle could vary widely. Some folks become very "attached" to them and as a result that one would carry a higher value. The same vehicle owned by someone else might be substantially less.

I collect model trucks, mostly fire apparatus, probably got around 100 of them total. Some I've given to people because it meant more to them than it did to me. Others, you aren't going to get from me for any price, I've got them for a reason. I'm looking for a couple pro cars that I've known in the past. I would be willing to pay a lot more for one of them than any "run of the mill" car out there.

Not meaning to run you around in circles on this, but values will be all over the place. What it's worth to you is what's most important.

Hello PCS members!

I am a newer member of this group and have been following the message board and learning a few things and becoming familiar with the information posted.

I don’t yet have my own car so that’s the reason for my post. I am looking to learn of other members who may be offering theirs for sale. I am looking for an ambulance to be a parade car and conversation piece back here in Minnesota. I want to be able to show a period correct car and have all the fun that goes along with showing it at the local shows! I continue to volunteer as an EMT and have a passion for professional cars of the late 60’s and 70’s and the rich EMS history they represent.

I had a job scare a few months back when I was looking hard at Bill M’s Cadillac and did not make any commitments then. I am back in the driver’s seat again and really want to try to find something for spring and be ready to play for the summer.

I have looked hard at maybe trying to find one to restore but find the comments of getting a rig that has already been done helpful. I would like to spend more up front and have something ready than not know where to begin.

So, Bill , let me know if you’re still in the market to sell and any others as well. I would love to chat with you. I also have chatted just briefly about Lee’s Lifeliner.

My biggest concern is now trying to determine what the honest value of these cars is. I have perused the net a lot and think I have a good idea but any thoughts you have are welcome. It’s a big investment and I want to make a good decision. When I speak to my friends they all tell me it’s not worth the money suggested for some of these cars but I am not sure I believe that. So, again, a little reassurance of what is a good price to offer and then I think I will be able to make a great deal and begin having some fun.

I’ve got a few more things to chat about but will hold that for another day. Please e-mail if you would like at:

clyde_s@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Clyde :)

P.S. Not sure if this link has been posted before but it's a website that collects information on all the ads for various types of cars for sale on the web. I have the site set to ambulances but you can search anything.

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=ambulance&loc=&fil=&ys=&ye=&submit=++++go++++

Hi Clyde!! When I saw your name, I remembered you right away! Welcome to this forum and to the PCS! I am glad to hear that your job situation worked out for you.
You will find lots of good info and great people who are very helpful. You should join the Northland Chapter, they are very active. You will probably find your ambulance right in your own area.
As for my ambulance, we have decided to keep it, at least for now. I told you that the ambulance is very special to me, I knew it since it was new. So thank you for asking, but no thanks.
As far as what they are worth, you can see projects for hundreds and restored ones for many thousands of dollars. You really can't do a full restoration on these cars, they are too big and would cost a fortune. As far as these rare cars having little value, I disagree. Twenty years ago, you could buy good examples for as little as $1500, or $2000. But, you can't buy a non running rust bucket for that money today. Expect to pay $15,000 minimum and perhaps much more for something nice. I would say that for a real nice fifties, or sixties ambulance, you could pay $30 to $50K

Good luck to you Clyde! You will find something you like, for a fair price, but it may take some searching.

Values

I agree 100% with Bill Marcy's assessment of values..... unless of course your Grandfather stored one hermetically sealed away in a climate controlled barn 50 year ago original and cared for units have tripled in value over the past 5 years or so. As I have said before... there will always be hearses, but nice unmolested ambulances are few and far between and are getting more scarce every year. Buying one from a fellow PCS Member also is a far safer way to go. MM

Right place, right time.

Hi Clyde...welcome to the PCS website. As you've already been told, many of the vehicles go between members and are never posted or are "found" and the details passed on to those who have expressed an interest in a particular make/model/year. One member's recent acquisition had him waiting over 12 years for the vehicle to become available. Sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time as happened with my recent purchase. Being patient is a very good attribute in this hobby.

Again joining the PCS and at least one chapter (many belong to more than one) will certainly put you closer to those who have their ear to the ground.

Good luck with the search and purchase.

you guys make me feel bad all I want to do is find a good home for one. now your telling my I'm sell it to cheap. but yes nothing easier to buy then a pro car and nothing harder to get rid of then a pro car. there worth a lot when your buying and nothing when your selling. but for say 10 grand I would be willing to see my 72 high top go down the road. then I would keep both the combos and get me a new limo. day dreaming now that's fun.

you guys make me feel bad all I want to do is find a good home for one. now your telling my I'm sell it to cheap. but yes nothing easier to buy then a pro car and nothing harder to get rid of then a pro car. there worth a lot when your buying and nothing when your selling. but for say 10 grand I would be willing to see my 72 high top go down the road. then I would keep both the combos and get me a new limo. day dreaming now that's fun.

Wow! That is a cheap ambulance!

Thanks for the great info!

Thanks for all the great information. What has been said is what I have come to find out by my own research. The confirmation is encouraging and sets my base for my search! Thanks again and I look forward to pursuing the new posts and learning some more!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back