Rear Brake Shoes

Well it never fails... cannot locate rear brake shoes for the Lifeliner so they are being re-lined. NAPA said they had some in Arizona but the shelf was empty. O'Reilly sold me standard size shoes which are 11 inch but I need a 12 inch shoe. Thank goodness NAPA had the wheel cylinders.

Always something.....:eek:

Just make sure that they are riveted linings. Bonded shoes are not good for that heavy a vehicle.

Shoes

Well it never fails... cannot locate rear brake shoes for the Lifeliner so they are being re-lined. NAPA said they had some in Arizona but the shelf was empty. O'Reilly sold me standard size shoes which are 11 inch but I need a 12 inch shoe. Thank goodness NAPA had the wheel cylinders.

Always something.....:eek:

Full sized caddies have used 12x2.5 front and rear from at least 61-76 ,once they went to disc brakes the 12x2.5 was still used in the rear . Parts person is lost.

Paul is right AVOID bonded shoes on heavy vehicles. Issue is they fade way more than rivited. The rivits provide a heat conductor from the lining to the metal shoe quicker heat loss. Bonded you have a layer of glue holding lining to the shoe this effectively insullates the lining from the metal shoe causing heat build up. A good mod if you are stuck with bonded brakes is take a file and cut crosswise notches in the lining this will let more air in keep heat down somewhat.

The new brake lining material is no where near the quality of the old brake lining material that contained pieces of brass and asbestos in them. Problem is that today, the organic linings are all that can be had. I found a local parts place that has a good inventory of old car parts from the 1960's. I also stocked up on the old similar type of lining material front brake pads whenever I found them at swap meets.
Dan Scully found a place in California that does reline brake shoes using a proprietary material that they have produced just for them, and he said that it works well. More information about this in the Recommended vendor forum.

Back