1962 Pontiac Superior Bonneville hearse

1962 Pontiac Superior Coach Bonneville hearse. Long discription if you ever wanted this type now is your chance.Take a look. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264320579398?ul_noapp=true

Rare and fabulous 1962 Pontiac Hearse. This is one of 10 produced (see inset photo pg. 272 of The Superior Coach History book). Here is a short summary of the awesome history of this incredible car:

Please read carefully..most questions that get asked are already in the listing. If you wait until the eleventh hour to ask a question, I may not get to it. I only get to the computer once a day or so..

I purchased this car 12 years ago from the second owner. She happened to purchase it from the original owner, her longtime girlfriend back in grade school, when together, (with her friend's dad) went to take delivery of the car! He happened to run a mortuary here in northern Calif back in the day. They all rode together to make the trip to pick up the hearse. She told me her friend's dad used it at the mortuary for about 20 years. She said she used to ride together with her friend down to Los Angeles because this car would get the call to take deceased people back to L.A. and Hollywood that had died here while on vacation.

She bought it from him after riding in the car off and on for 20 years. She then used it for charity events, parties, etc. She kept it for another 20 years or so, then it got too old to keep and use. I purchased it in 2007. By sheer luck, it still has the original black plates since it was always kept registered and never got into the hands of the surfer or morbid driver trashing it! It is one of 10 and likely the only survivor....and what great condition! The mortuary always kept it indoors, and she always had it in the garage or car port. It is virtually rust free, and still sports the ORIGINAL vinyl top!

When I purchased it, I did a basic restoration of what was needed and left as much original as I could. The front seat was re-done to original specs (using the original Superior coach horse hair seat padding!) along with the rubber floor mat. The rest of the interior is amazing and original. The body work was minimal and received a repaint. Some pieces were re-chromed or replaced with correct original parts, but actually, very little was needed. Normal mechanical services were done, and it was ready to be put back on the road. This car is a fabulous driver and just needs a new proud owner. Have you ever seen an original '62 Pontiac Lucite steering wheel in this condition? I have not, and I'm a Pontiac guy!

While on the subject, just for you Pontiac guys, this was delivered to Superior coach as a Bonneville wagon chassis. Yes, it is a Bonneville dash with the Ventura dash pad. That is how they did these. It has the original radio delete and was delivered with no Pontiac emblems and no Fisher Body tags. The door sill plates are blank, and the car is void of Pontiac scripts on the hub caps. Note the Superior Coach emblems on the front fenders. Rare in this condition. See the Superior data plate and chalk markings on the firewall. The chrome curved vertical pieces on the outsides surrounding the tail lights are hand made by Superior. They are solid cast brass! No damage to this car.

Known things needed: I put on the tires in 2007, they need to be replaced. The bumpers need re-chroming..thanks to the neighbor's cat some years back.
The back window gasket has shrunk and split, as you can see. I have another gasket for it, I was just too afraid to put it in.

The mileage may be original. I believe it is. You need to decide for yourself...unfortunately, I have no documentation on the car.

Like most commercial cars of the period, they got very little amenities or options. This has power steering and brakes, no radio or A/C. This car would be a great addition to anyone's classic commercial vehicle fleet, or the Pontiac collector who thought he had it all.

Remember.. this is one of ten, and likely the only one now!! And what a car it is!!

(bidders with less than 15 feedback reports will be deleted.. sorry nothing but trouble with those)

...email with questions... Thank you!

So....... it's set up as a combination, but no jump seat or cot bar?? Odd. I guess that was an option that they didn't want/need.

So....... it's set up as a combination, but no jump seat or cot bar?? Odd. I guess that was an option that they didn't want/need.

It's an endloader.

If you're referring to the reversible rollers, I've seen them on many Superior endloaders back in the day.

Where are the straight ambulances of this vintage? Alas I think we all know they served their time and went to a peaceful resting place. Too bad.

This 66 I had was kind of strange, it was used only as a transfer vehicle at a retirement home. And it does snow in the desert :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00896.JPG
    DSC00896.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 119
This 66 I had was kind of strange, it was used only as a transfer vehicle at a retirement home. And it does snow in the desert :eek:

While not a common option, Superiors were available with casket racks (as seen here) instead of reversible rollers.

My guess is that the retirement home was not the original owner of this combination car.

Back