Ambulance sheets & Pillow cases

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
I have heard my overhead (small, shallow) cabinet in my division section referred to as a 'linen' cabinet. What type linens should be in there? Extra sheets for the cot? What else?
A friend gave me some supplies from a old docs office. He is rehabing the building. I have no idea if any of this stuff is correct for my 61 combination coach. Maybe someone can ID this at one of the many meets I plan on attending this summer.
Mike

Today, almost all the hospitals have abandoned the linen business and are now using linen services. At one time, all the hospitals had linens that had there name embroidered in a blue stripe that ran down the middle of the sheet or the pillow case. I have been looking for those sheets and pillow cases for years now, to no avail. I did find one pillow case in an old ambulance that after some creative washing techniques, I was able to get clean and all the rust stains out of. If you have any extras like the ones that I have just described, I would like a few. Last summer, at the Mount Laurel meet, someone gave me a couple of towels that were marked like that with the name "Hospital Property" in a blue stripe. Wish that I could have gotten a few more..
Thanks to Rick Duffy, I did get a couple of modern day hospital sheet to use in the meantime.

You are correct Mike it is called a linen cabinet, compartment, etc.. In my 66, I keep my emesis basin, bandages and dressings, an old school mercury B/P cuff and disposable blankets. In my 67 it houses board and air splints, and disposable blankets. Some people may have actually kept linens in there!

one more of those things that got left off the GSA contract on my 72 CB. but I have noticed a lot of hearses have that cabinet to. good place for the body bags.

Linen/Curtain Material???

Since were kind've on the topic, I've also got a Question that kinda pertains to this Subject.

In one of the Late Model Superior Ambulances I'm looking at possibly purchasing in the future, some of the Window Curtains used on this Ambulance have Holes/Tear's in the Material from etheir Animals or Rodents that once Infested the Car, or perhaps it may have been something else that caused that (Although that may be Wishful Thinking)

I really don't want to Fabricate and Replace all the Curtains on this Ambulance, I'd much rather prefer to just replace the Damaged Curtains if at all possible.

So I'm kind've curious if anyone knows what Material was used for the Curtains??? ......That way I don't look like more of a Idiot trying to locate the Right Material at Various Fabric Shops throughout the Area. ( lol )

looking like what

Trust me, the ladies at the fabric shops will be helpful in your quest for the right fabric. Just make sure you have on your 'I am totally out of place here and really lost look'. Take one of the curtains with you to get a close match. The chances of running into the correct fabric at a junkyard, swapmeet, or whatever may be slim. You might get lucky if a club member is parting out an old coach. Remember that whatever you find may be the right stuff but may be sun faded so that the colors no longer are the exact color of yours.
Good luck in your quest.

I needed new curtains for my Pinner Ambulance since the old ones were so badly yellowed, and even after washing, they still looked poor. I found a very similar material at a JoAnn Fabric store, and it was very inexpensive. I think that it cost about $30 for enough to do the Pinner and my Superior ambulance, since it also used a similar material. A local retired lady charged me $30 to make all the curtains, since it wasn't very complicated, and she completed them in one evening. If they had been swag draperies as in a hearse, then it would have been a lot more difficult and expensive.

If they had been swag draperies as in a hearse, then it would have been a lot more difficult and expensive.

Boy, do I know that! I spent almost a grand in material for the drapes in my 49 S&S. It is very thick mohair type, and matches the interior color and feel perfectly. I have had it for years now but cannot find anyone willing to put them together. I had someone once, but the sewing machine could not handle the load, kept breaking needles and about burned up the machine. So I am sitting on almost one window completed and 5 windows to go:eek: I dont think it will EVER get done.

heavy fabric

John, make friends with a shoe repair shop owner or upholsterer. They have the commercial machines to handle the heavy fabric. Show them pictures of what you want if you have pictures. It will be easier than explaining to someone who does not normally work on this type of project. Or you could show them the old curtains/draperies. You might also try a tent rental agency. They either repair their tents or send them for repairs when needed. Ask the fabric shop(s) about people capable of doing the job for you. A marina may be able to help too. They deal with boat covers and such. All heavy material.
Mike

digging around in things today and found I have this set of linen. a pillow case form the now almost gone Elsworth AFB hospital and a sheet for the VA. the VA sheet is really a 80's one I remember when we got them. the old ones were just stamped.

Attachments

• IMG_5057.jpg
    IMG_5057.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5059.JPG
    IMG_5059.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 61
Back