Stocking a rescue truck circa 1936

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I've read the responses to Tim's post about his '52. This vehicle is a 1936 Ford 1 1/2 ton panel truck. It has plenty of room and had been used to deliver motorcycles in it's previous life. I bought it from a gentleman in Westport, Ontario. It originally came from Belchertown, MA. (plenty-o-pix on my site)
Any help as to what would have been there is appreciated. I'm guessing some sort of folding cot.
Thanks in advance!
Kevin

.................. It has plenty of room and had been used to deliver motorcycles in it's previous life. ...................Thanks in advance!
Kevin

are you going to put baby motorcycle decals on the front fenders??? :D

answers to the above questions

my site is ThisOldFireTruck.com

I've called Belchertown FD several times- no answer- not even an answering machine. I'll have to write the chief. I got his name off the town's website. I e-mailed him through that website and never got an answer.

What would this truck have had for equipment? Rope?

Thanks!

There's a lot more posts about gear in the archives of this forum.

Here's some courtesy Google Images that might be helpful - although a bit newer.

Attachments

• 1957yankee2.jpg
    1957yankee2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Scanned Image 100860005.jpg
    Scanned Image 100860005.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 84
the rescue truck would be stocked according to region. a department that operated in a busy set of interstates would have different equipment then a rural truck in the mountains. just look at the different trucks pictured.

Up our way,in the golden years most rescue units were a spot on the firetruck of the local volunteer dept.and many of them were farmers,who were the masters of making things work with minimal tools,wrecking bars,fence stretchers(come-alongs) ropes,chains,axes,sledge and ball peen hammers,screwdrivers and jack knifes,very basic and inexpensive as they had no funds to speak of.and if it was expensive the local machinist or blacksmith would "jimmy-jack"something close to it.

Thanks to all of you! Especially Nick...

Those pictures were great!!!! I had bio hazardous stickers on the cabinets in my first pro car and when I put them on line boy did I hear it! Thanks again I knew I wouldn't be disappointed!

Back