Oxygen Equipment 1960's

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
The pictures below are of the portable oxygen unit that came with my 1963 Pinner Chrysler ambulance. I believe that it is the original unit to the car, since the bottle was full of masking tape, and every time the bottle was refilled, they recorded the date. This E & J unit was just about standard equipment on that I had ever worked on, with only one of the ambulances having a Emerson Resuscitator, which was much larger and heavier.

Your stretching my memory banks, since I haven't been in the back of the car since last fall. I remember that there is a cabinet on the left that opens and there is a place to strap a bottle in there, with the bottle head sticking up. I don't have the regulator, hose, or mask that went with the bottle, but when I got the car, there were plenty of spare bottles under the squad bench that were stenciled with the squad name on them. One has a particularly strange fitting on the top, so I have no idea of what type of regulator that was used on it. All the rest have the typical medical oxygen bottle fittings.

As you can see in the picture below, it is taller than the smaller bottle to its right, but shorter than the bottle to the left. The hight of this one is the only one like it that I have ever remember seeing..

Paul, the big one uses a regulator similar to the ones on the big on board tanks. I have seen them configured to be able to regulate the pressure going to the mask. It screws on rather that sliding over the top.

Back