Will a UHaul trailer work?

Trying desperately to figure out how to get the '77 M-M I want home this Saturday from about 8 hours away. Tow drivers wanting to charge more than I can pay (understandably), im afraid of using Uship because if they dont show im screwed and not sure if it would be any cheaper anyways. So basically im left with the option of getting a 14' box truck and Auto Transport trailer from UHaul. The thing is I was wondering if any body has had experience with using their trailers to haul a hearse of my year. They say the max weight is 5290 (not sure exactly what the '77 weighs), must have maximum outside tire to tire width of 79.25" (not sure of '77) and have a maximum axle to axle wheelbase of 133" (I believe the '77 is 144.5). Im not sure what to do...any thoughts?? Thanks guys

Ive done some crazy stuff with way small trailers and too big of loads. I tend to be...not exactly safe... But please. Trust me. That 77 WILL NOT fit on a uhaul trailer. Not in a million years. Too heavy, too wide, too long. Those trailers are very small. Meant for common mid sized vehicles. Youll be wasting you dough.

Trailer

Dont try the U-haul, I know that in my area heavy equiptment rental companies have trailers to rent, that should have the length and axel weight to carry your car, if you hae a truck to pull the trailer.
Good luck!

Experience counts

Josh- you'd find after going a few feet that the car would be out of control. Trust me, unless you've done this for a few miles and it worked, I wouldn't plan this trip this way. It's not like it was a few miles away. This would be a big expense that I feel would fail. I know the bind you're in. It's no fun and sure can take the fun away from things. See if you can locate a shipping "broker" on line. They help truckers with empty trucks find a load for their way home. Good luck. I agree with all the comments you've gotten so far!
Kev

Just for fun, and reference, here's a Corvair on a standard Uhaul trailer. Now imagine a hearse in comparison to a corvair...

33215740071_large.jpg

I know how frustrating it is to REALLY want a car and need a way to pick it up. I've been there so many times. But it will be even more frustrating to get all the way there and realize it wont fit. Even MORE frustrating to damage your hearse trying to get it home unsafely.

Towing Vs HAVING it towed...

Josh,

DO NOT go by the way of U-Haul.....UNSAFE At ANY speed......

I am in the process right now of having a Procar shipped from Colorado to California...And this will be the 4th time I have used U-ship....the first 3 went off without a hitch.....other then some early/late pick up/drop-off times....it is well worth the money...and you be surprised as to how reasonable the "brokers" get..

I say "brokers" because MOST of the bids on USHIP are by brokers who then in turn put it on their respective sites.......there have been a few "real" truckers who come in very reasonable since they dont have the brokerage fee........

Just check their feed-back and look up their "MC" number (Motor Car Carrier) toi see there record(s)....:my2cents:

Good Luck in your adventure !!

Jim

Yea i shipped my 69 from Ohio with Uship. Just fill out all the info and let them bid. Cant hurt. They will start high. Just let them go. You can even set a target price to let them know around how much you want to spend. Jim is very right to tell you to look up the carriers MC #. Almost all of the shippers on Uship are Legit, but better safe than sorry. Its worth a shot.

I know the feeling. My Ambulance has been lingering out at Mr. Staruk's place since I acquired it in August. All the places I've called want in excess of 500 bucks to take it 50 miles. I am not in a position for that and it won't run so driving it is out of the question. I am bound and determined to get it before it snows!!!!!!

I know the feeling. My Ambulance has been lingering out at Mr. Staruk's place since I acquired it in August. All the places I've called want in excess of 500 bucks to take it 50 miles. I am not in a position for that and it won't run so driving it is out of the question. I am bound and determined to get it before it snows!!!!!!

Pat,
If your only transporting it 50 miles...check with some local TOW operators who use flatbeds...I have hired local operators when its less then 100 miles...most will give you a set price that is usually pretty good..especially if they have multiple trucks that need the work..or even an indipendant who needs the work.....and for 50 miles it should not be anywhere near $500.00.....
Give it a shot......:)
Good Luck.....
Jim
PS Which unit did you buy from Jim ??
I purchased his 72 Superior 54 back in March.....and for that move I had a hard time to get someone to take it......

I may be of some assistance. Depending on what I can work out on some items in your neck of the woods to come get. The all the way to you part depends on what deal comes through on a coach I'm interested in. If all else fails I can shave 3 hrs off your troubles by bringing it to my yard if wanted. I am regularly at the coaches current location.

ReadytoGo.jpg

I may be of some assistance. Depending on what I can work out on some items in your neck of the woods to come get. The all the way to you part depends on what deal comes through on a coach I'm interested in. If all else fails I can shave 3 hrs off your troubles by bringing it to my yard if wanted. I am regularly at the coaches current location.

ReadytoGo.jpg

That would be great. I will be going there to look at it this Saturday. It looks more and more like I wont be able to come back with it if I buy it which makes me very nervous because ive never had to do that before. Let me know if you would be able to do it whenever you may know and how much you would charge. Id like to have it here at the most within a week or two from point of buying it if I do.

Shoot a message to member Dwayne Brooks on here, if he doesn't see this thread soon. He has had cars moved all over Ohio by a company called Ronk's Towing. Mostly smaller trips, up to 400 miles round trip, but they haven't turned him down yet. They can move a hearse and might be interested in a longer trip on a slow day.

Pat,
If your only transporting it 50 miles...check with some local TOW operators who use flatbeds...I have hired local operators when its less then 100 miles...most will give you a set price that is usually pretty good..especially if they have multiple trucks that need the work..or even an indipendant who needs the work.....and for 50 miles it should not be anywhere near $500.00.....
Give it a shot......:)
Good Luck.....
Jim
PS Which unit did you buy from Jim ??
I purchased his 72 Superior 54 back in March.....and for that move I had a hard time to get someone to take it......

These are tow operators! The most expensive was 650! He gave me a '73 Superior 54. I'm going to hit up Craigslist. Maybe there is an independent who needs work.
picture.php

She's not pretty but I've started with less.

Just contact any trailer dealer. They always have 22' trailers that they will rent out inexpensively. Just make sure that the trailer is heavy enough and you are pulling it with a 3/4 ton or heavier truck.

Shoot a message to member Dwayne Brooks on here, if he doesn't see this thread soon. He has had cars moved all over Ohio by a company called Ronk's Towing. Mostly smaller trips, up to 400 miles round trip, but they haven't turned him down yet. They can move a hearse and might be interested in a longer trip on a slow day.

Ronks to the rescue for me! They did a great job

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 193
These are tow operators! The most expensive was 650! He gave me a '73 Superior 54. I'm going to hit up Craigslist. Maybe there is an independent who needs work.
picture.php

Pat,
Seems to be a decent rig just from the picture.....GOOD LUCK with the restoration.....!!:thumbsup:

wrecker

pat, as a former owner of a large tow truck company i can tell you that there is someone out there who needs and wants your buisness. i would call as many as you can in YOUR area who want your money. figure $2.50 a loaded mile and a hook up fee of probaly 100.00 and start from there. commisiond towers will charge more than a salaried driver. rent a trailer used to tow tractors and you may realize a lower price than hiring it out. i have a trailer you could use for free but, hey im in texas. my advise is to shop around to every tower i could call and figure what you want to pay and just tell them this is what you will pay. hope this helps. good luck sir....

picture.php

If you're giving it away I will be happy to take it and have it moved within a week. :pat:

Also, I don't know which direction you are heading, but I did recently notice a rental company that appears to have trucks with heavy duty trailers for rent, and possibly a rollback, although I'm not sure the rollback would handle a hearse. I have rented heavy duty trailers from them before that I pulled with my own truck, used one to move an 8000 pound truck cab. I've been meaning to stop in and ask them about the truck rental.

If you are familiar with the Dublin area, they are on Industrial Parkway (which I guess is now referred to as County Highway 1):

Pro Tool Rental

Address: 7240 County Highway 1, Plain City, OH 43064
Phone: (614) 873-7368
Hours:
Mon-Fri 7am–5pm
Sat 7am–12pm
Sun Closed

Back