68 Cadillac Hearse in Colorado

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-cadillac-hearse-ambulance/6402142730.html

Found this hearse/ambulance yesterday on my searches. Sounds and looks decent with the exception of the ugly decals. Pics are really low res though. I asked him for more pics and he sent me some more recent higher res pics, two of which show a small section of rust damage on each side (and I see bubbling around it, so there may be more under the paint)

If anyone is interested I can upload and post the better pics in this thread. I'm not really super interested in this one yet, but its a cheap 68 which I dont see often.

Here is his response to my email:

-------------
Hello,
Yes, it’s mechanically sound. I drove it in a parade at the end of October, then moved it several times up until about a month ago.
The windshield is cracked, does not leak, but is not cracked in front of the drivers view.
I can definitely remove the decals/vinyl graphics, however not sure what the paint would look after they’re removed. I’m guessing there will be discoloration, but nothing horrible.
Lastly, the pics below show the only rust spots (one minor spot on each side). I’ve included a couple of recent profile pics as well

This combination looks to be a much better deal at $3000 that that '75'/76 hearse w/ no title that you are looking at for $4000. Anything '70 or older should be worth more than a coach from the '70s in comparable condition. A combination, such as this one, should be worth more than an end-loading hearse in comparable condition.

no matter what pictures lie. you can't tell with out looking at it and guessing what the repairs would cost are just a guess. this one has one of the rare body styles a landau combination. now to be honest with you anything you get you can expect to put at least a grand in it to make it a dependable car. that's just belts, hoses and a tune up. if it doesn't need tires today it will tomorrow. the old saying of pay up front or pay when you get it comes to play. if you can't go look at the car ask one of the members living there to do it for you. or you take your chances of just how old that pictures is. this is a decent price for this style car at this age. it should resell for this amount at any time. MM had the rust on the bottom off the doors problem and they all had the rust on the bottom of the front fenders problem.

no matter what pictures lie. you can't tell with out looking at it and guessing what the repairs would cost are just a guess. this one has one of the rare body styles a landau combination. now to be honest with you anything you get you can expect to put at least a grand in it to make it a dependable car. that's just belts, hoses and a tune up. if it doesn't need tires today it will tomorrow. the old saying of pay up front or pay when you get it comes to play. if you can't go look at the car ask one of the members living there to do it for you. or you take your chances of just how old that pictures is. this is a decent price for this style car at this age. it should resell for this amount at any time. MM had the rust on the bottom off the doors problem and they all had the rust on the bottom of the front fenders problem.

Thats a good idea, is there anyone in the Colorado Springs area who would be willing to take a look at this for me and give me opinions?

Rust pics:

La8XaT3.jpg

foojQGF.jpg

It seems like a pretty minor amount of rusting but I have no idea what the average cost is for a body shop to restore these sections, so this is really the only thing that has me hesitant. I have tried to get ballpark quotes before but no one will ever give me a "theoreticaly quote" without physically seeing it, even with pics. I understand there are variables that wildly affect these things but it would be nice to get some baseline info.

Only thing I have really been able to find is via google and that was:

"New metal panels can cost around $60 each, and are suitable for repairing large sections of rusted metal. When the entire body panel of a vehicle must be replaced, a new part can be anywhere from $200 to $2,000. The cost of welding the new piece of metal into place can add an additional $45 to $250 to the final bill."

Last edited:
Wow! Where is that body shop?? Sign me up on that program!

I know right? I mean im not a mechanic but that pricing sounded pretty optimistic.

Is there anyone here in Colorado? It would be awesome if someone was able to check it out and test drive it. Id even be willing to pay for your gas costs via paypal

Too many things to go into. The rust there is caused by water getting to the panel. If you don't fix that problem putting in a patch is only temporary. Water is most likely getting in from the seam under the molding on top of the panel. But could be comming threw the wheel well. Both sides are a little strange with no other rust on the car. But that happens. The re pair will add little to your repaint. The case boils down to Which car do you get excited about. Both as will them all need some fixing.

Too many things to go into. The rust there is caused by water getting to the panel. If you don't fix that problem putting in a patch is only temporary. Water is most likely getting in from the seam under the molding on top of the panel. But could be comming threw the wheel well. Both sides are a little strange with no other rust on the car. But that happens. The re pair will add little to your repaint. The case boils down to Which car do you get excited about. Both as will them all need some fixing.

Yeah, 68 is my ideal year so this one does seem better to me. I have a friend in Colorado Springs, so I am trying to arrange for him to go look at it and ride in it and make sure it all checks out. If so I am strongly considering this.

The 75 has someone else interested so I doubt the seller is going to fix the issues it had, but in any case, 68 is what I really want

Last edited:
Luckily my friend in Colorado knows a mechanic and is going to go out there this Friday and take a look. Going to give him a list of things to check out. Hes showing it to someone else today, so keeping my fingers crossed that he doesnt sell it.

keep in mind you either pay up front or you bay as you go in a older car. if your looking for one ready to go in the 2 to 5 grand range you can look a long time. as I said before they stopped using it for some reason. find that gt it fixed and you get a serviceable car out of it. but you going to have to expect to dump a grand in it right away to have a dependable driver. all one needs to know is general condition pieces all there or what is missing. a dime size rust hole is as much to fix as a hubcap size if you do it correctly. bad curtains will run you 500 to replace. expect some problems. rebuilding a engine is cheaper then painting the car. rebuilding a transmission is like putting tires on. a car that is all there runs and stops, no body damage good glass good glass that goes up and down like it should will bring 5 gran on the open market. if it's the car your want a man might add a grand or two to get it. this is the same if the car is 10 years old or 30. after 30 they can be rougher and still bring the money

Last edited:
I had the seller drive it to Firestone for an inspection today. He scanned and sent me the report and it surprisingly wasnt all that bad. Heres the summary:

- Oil leaks in valve covers and down real main seal
- Trans leak at lines - pan
- Right rear brake shoe cracking
- Recommended new tires - 13 and 8 years old
- Carburator leaking, recommended rebuild

Estimated cost $537

Other notes:

- Window cracked on passenger side
- Surface rust on frame
- Various bushings cracking from age

I dont think that sounds too terrible. Still having my friend look tomorrow and I'm 95% sure im going to be buying it tomorrow and making shipping arrangements.

First order will be to restore the body and paint though. I will be taking good care of it. Not using it for shenanigans like some people do.

Its official. I bought this car for 3k. It should be delivered Wednesday. Had him remove all the decals and skulls off it. Will be taking it for rust restoration and repainting hopefully Wednesday.

Thanks for all the help and advice! I intend to take very good care of this now that its been rescued from the haunted house biz

Back