Period Correct neck braces

As Steve said, foam pieces with stockinette over it, collars were just coming out,and standards were being upgraded,no head blocks here till years later, we used a sand bag on each side of the head.

sand bag and lots of tape if any thing. you might remember the videos post of Va ambulance services. the best place to see period correct equipment is those old videos but you can still buy these believe it or not

Attachments

• 1957 superior.JPG
    1957 superior.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 1972 nurse good body and soft collor.jpg
    1972 nurse good body and soft collor.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 184
thank you all! I was thinking I'd seen a soft c-collar type vinyl wrapped maybe with some type of Velcro cinch strap

Scott its a wooden thingamagiggy approx.6' long with slots on the side to hog-tie I mean to secure a pt with possible Cervical spine injuries which by todays standards seems to mean everyone who has had a trauma,nowadays they are made of strong plastic in a wide array of colors and configurations but on a windy icy day can those sons of gun ever scoot down the highway and try carrying one on a windy day upright to the scene.:D

I remember seeing a 70's documentary using rolled towels to immobilize the head on a backboard but nothing for the neck.

the rolled towels- sand bags ext and a large amount of tape were all that was used. the back board was considered a all body splint. C spine was not considered as a separate stabilization. the man in the 57 was a fall off a ladder. inures taped up tossed on the gurney and away we go. we the figured out that back boarding may be a benefit then you might see a short board used. Johnny and Gage showed us how to do that.

C collars

In Ottawa we had thick felt cut into the right shape and stuffed into a long piece of stockinette that you tied behind the patients neck.

Where I worked, we had rigid plastic collars that came in one size but had a "slider" to adjust the height. They also had softer rubber edges at the top and bottom for "comfort". They were not disposable and were reused for years !!! We did not have any commercially made collars for kids so had to make due with whatever we had that would work.

I worked for a company in the 80's that had collars made of 1/2" foam with velcro fasteners. I got in trouble for asking if we could use them to wash the truck.

We were using DePuy soft collars and Dyna Med plastic coated extrication collars,

Back