Ferno Model 7 Quick-Lock Fastener

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
When the Rhinecliff Rescue Squad chose to replace the custom-built short Ferno Model 30 provided from the Pinner Coach Co with a Model 26 "One-Man" cot - they removed the Ferno Model 1 cot bar and installed a peculiar apparatus to secure the cot in transit. This consisted of Ferno post-cups at the foot end, and a hook and floor-plate contraption that I believed was home-made.

Turns out it wasn't! Found some Ferno literature from 1963, and prior to the (currently sold) Model 174 clamp mechanism, the Model 7 Quick-Lock fastener was the factory-supplied setup for Model 22 Mortuary, 26 Ambulance, and 27 Low-Headroom Ambulance "One-Man" cots.

I have the hook, and the post-cups are still in the car. However, the plate is missing and the outline rough. I thought I'd try to get exact dimensions on it to get one made up (just a steel plate). I called Ferno, and their Technical Support representative was apparently unable/unwilling to help me beyond noting the part number wasn't in the current Ferno catalog. I know folks in the past have been able to get old specs from them, figured it was worth a shot.

Perhaps someone has a better contact at Ferno. Just maybe, someone's got one of these lying around? :)

Attachments

• 2016-08-27 12.58.25.jpg
    2016-08-27 12.58.25.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 308
I have one of those in my garage, I just don't know where... I'll look for it if you send me an air cleaner housing. :D

What are you needing an air cleaner housing for Paul? Sometimes, all you need to do is ask!

I am going to build another ambulance around it. I figure that I need to start somewhere, so I am starting at the top of the engine....
OK.. the truth is that I traded one type of air cleaner for another with Nick, and I am reminding him to send it to me the one that I traded for.

Neither I nor Paul knew that plate was part of Ferno's original "One-Man" cot system, so I thought it certainly interesting knowledge to share with the group.

Besides, that plate's been eluding him for about a year or so, so figured it was worth asking others about. I've yet to see another one nor a mention of it besides the Ferno flyer I photographed.

Paul: I apologize, I failed to appreciate that you needed the original air cleaner so urgently. First day off in a two weeks, took it off the car today - it will go out tomorrow afternoon when I get off-shift along with the metal emesis basins you asked me for.

it was a interesting find. I have never seen one of them either. they had a number of locks I have never seen.

Plate

Who knows, maybe someone's got one lying around they can make a pencil tracing of. :)

I pulled this from the 72 C/B I Parted out. Might be it? I do not what it does but was not going to give it way with whats left of the parts car.

Attachments

• 20161106_201016.jpg
    20161106_201016.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 20161106_201029_001.jpg
    20161106_201029_001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 20161106_201049.jpg
    20161106_201049.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Now I remember where I put the one that came in the 1963 Chrysler... I put it into the '72 CB that Dan bought for a parts car. To think that I wasted all that time looking for it for the past year. :D

Discussion of the Rhinecliff ambulance's hook/cot setup can be found at that thread. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17201

Here's a photo of a Model 7 in use with a Model 26 cot, courtesy This Old Ambulance.

There are no instructions for the device that I've seen - but the kit came with post cups. Therefore, it's rather unusual to see it at the foot of the cot. My guess is there's a "stop" at the front similar to the later Model 5 (http://www.mortuarymall.com/Ferno-Model-5-Mortuary-Fastener-Set-p/fw-5.htm) or "antlers" like the the Model 173-2. (http://www.fernointernational.com/e...ers/173-2-series-cot-fastening-system-in.aspx) Perhaps there was a transitional period for these products - or as so often happened, something was cobbled together.

Attachments

• Model 7 hook.jpg
    Model 7 hook.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 119
If you think about it. having it in the rear would make it a lot easier to get the gurney in and out. As you said the fire deptment added it later. They made the guess as to were to put it. The cups are to hold the gurney in place. This lock would keep!The legs in the cups if put in the rear. The one pictured doesn't have any cups.

Over time, I have determined the bracket that Dan Scully had is a later edition of the Model 7's floor bracket. The original was a completely flat piece of metal, which necessitated cutting into the floor so the hook could reach under the flat bar. The newer variant has the raised portion to allow the hook to catch and lock in place without any floor cut like my 1963 Pinner-Chrysler has.

Does anyone have an example of the earlier model? I'd like to at least be able to confirm measurements and have one made. Maybe one day Paul will finally find the original! :p

I called Ferno, and their Technical Support representative was apparently unable/unwilling to help me beyond noting the part number wasn't in the current Ferno catalog. I know folks in the past have been able to get old specs from them, figured it was worth a shot.

Perhaps someone has a better contact at Ferno. Just maybe, someone's got one of these lying around? :)

Hey Nick, I don’t have a contact at Ferno but I have found that nearly always when my question/concern has fallen on deaf ears a simple follow and friending on their social media accounts, proceeded by me posting to such accounts with my inquiry results in record-breaking resolutions in both timeliness, as well as quality.

Hey Nick, I don’t have a contact at Ferno but I have found that nearly always when my question/concern has fallen on deaf ears a simple follow and friending on their social media accounts, proceeded by me posting to such accounts with my inquiry results in record-breaking resolutions in both timeliness, as well as quality.

Unfortunately, I tried that last year. F-W only had the more recent bracket drawing available (with elongated top part as shown), not the flat 1960s variant I'm talking about. They were selling it as add-on "hanging stretcher" hardware up until the 1990s or so.

Very much looking for an original to copy or install in my 1963 Pinner-Chrysler.

Back