Replica 1960s Ambulance Honors Funeral Home's 90 Years of Service

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
ELKVIEW, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A set of special wheels is helping a Kanawha Valley funeral home mark 90 years of service to families.

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...eral-Homes-90-Years-of-Service-311342471.html

Replica+Ambulance.jpg

Thanks... pet peeve with the media, the term is Funeral Director... not Funeral HOME Director...

Thanks... pet peeve with the media, the term is Funeral Director... not Funeral HOME Director...
Kent, I think it's just a matter of grammar and/or a missing hyphen. I think it would make more sense if they said, "Hafer Funeral Home Director-Emeritus Steve Strickland" or "Director-Emeritus Steve Strickland of the Hafer Funeral Home".

Attachments

• Grammar Police small.jpg
    Grammar Police small.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 438
"A replica 1966 Ford Ambulance has been a labor of love for Hafer Funeral Home Director Emeritus Steve Strickland."

It is correct the way it is. He is the Director Emeritus for the Hafer Funeral Home. "Hafer Funeral Home Funeral Director Emeritus..." would be redundant.

I would tend to agree with Steve, and your second phrase would probably be best. My point is that many, many times when we are identified with media, the term "funeral HOME director" is used. In most states, the license will read funeral director, funeral service, etc... I don't know of a state that uses, or does the profession use, "funeral home director"...

I would tend to agree with Steve, and your second phrase would probably be best. My point is that many, many times when we are identified with media, the term "funeral HOME director" is used. In most states, the license will read funeral director, funeral service, etc... I don't know of a state that uses, or does the profession use, "funeral home director"...

What drives me nuts is when the media states a Memorial Service is taking place when the body is present and casketed. It is not a Memorial Service it is a Funeral Service. Or they have the casket open and it is reversed with the head at the foot end. Geez!!!

Isn't der spoda be a - betwixt Director and Emeritus?

Not sure but it seems American Standard English has been abandoned. Conversation with a Language Arts "Teacher" convinced me when she told me they didn't even learn to diagram sentences in College.

Punctuation, fogetaboutit.
Us old farts are surviving in a world where we are happy to not hear many conversations.

Back