1968 Superior Pontiac Ambulance $24,500

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
You know this ambulance history as I have chronicled it in the forums and there are complete before and after pictures in my album. Suffice it to say that it is a good, strong running car, with lots of work done over the past two years. It is a great parade car, cruise night car and a huge hit at local shows and events. The ambulance has had a nice storage garage, but that is coming to an end. So, I am considering selling it, if anyone is interested. It would be nice to see her stay in the PCS, so I will make a discounted price to someone from this group. Call me, or PM me for more information. Phone # 201-342=4871

Attachments

• 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,365
  • P1130351.jpg
    P1130351.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • P1120198.jpg
    P1120198.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • P1120201.jpg
    P1120201.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,317
  • P1130347.jpg
    P1130347.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,337
  • P1120205.jpg
    P1120205.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,314
  • P1120206.jpg
    P1120206.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,332
  • P1120203.jpg
    P1120203.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,308

Bill........But....But.....I thought you.......but .....but.......ohhh Bill say it isnt so !!!!:confused::eek:

I am shocked to say the least..after all that time and energy you put into this one......:thumbsup::) :broken_heart:

But I understand things happen.....best of luck with it I know someone will be getting a VERY nice ambulance !!

PONTIAC: "We build excitement" !!

Last edited:
Bill, that is one of the nicest colour combinations you could find. Sorry to hear it has to move on and I hope a fellow PCS member is found to carry on its care.

Price Reduced! $22,500 OBO

It is still for sale, so I have lowered the asking price. I will consider offers and even partial trades.

$19,500 Possible Trade

Just in case anyone here is interested, I am reducing the price to $19,500. I would be very happy to sell it to someone in our group. Lucille and I are going to start a new adventure, so we are no longer going to own a professional car. We are not going away, but we will be visitors. We just want something we never had before, maybe a car from the Fifties through Seventies. We are open. We have had lots of fun and good times with professional cars, but we are possibly closing that chapter of the book, we will see. If you have a serious interest in buying, or trading, let me know.

Is There Any Interest

I am curious, is there any interest in this car. I realize that maybe I was asking too much, but I have lowered my expectations. I probably priced it way too high in the beginning, but I have about that much in it. I love the car and I have really enjoyed owning it, but I am going out of the ambulance business, so to speak. My life is changing and I really would like to sell this ambulance to someone who really wants it. I will tell you, it is far from perfect, but it is a good running and good driving parade and local show car. Call me and I will tell you all about it, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I am very motivated to sell it, as I will soon be losing storage for it. If you would like to make an offer, please do so. I will consider a partial trade, preferably not a procar, plus cash, if that would help anybody.

ASKING $18,500 Please see the photo album for pictures from beginning til now. This was a longtime Oregon car, I have original Protect-O-Plate too.

Bill,
You need to get it to a bigger audience! Not enough people on this site. I have pretty much given up on selling anything on here.

Kurt - I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the luck you've wanted here - but I have to disagree.

Mr. Marcy has listed this car on Craigslist (and eBay if I'm not mistaken) for some time, and its sale has been advertised on multiple Facebook pages related to professional cars. This is not a question of exposure. It is surely a nice ambulance - so I am sure he is reconsidering what it will take to sell it if he truly wishes it gone.

As I learned - more than a few make big talk about wanting a "rare high-top ambulance" but when one comes available the silence is deafening. The audience of serious buyers of these vehicles and their related items is small indeed. The proportion of those who have good intentions/motivations that are similar to my own are even less. When it gets down to it -many folks who want these vehicles already have at least one.

There may be less people on this forum than the exposure elicited by eBay or Craigslist. But I believe I am far more likely here to find the serious and appropriately motivated buyer/trader that I would want to deal with. I have only sold one of my professional cars - and I put up ads on the appropriate Facebook pages as well as here. However, the actual sale to a fellow PCS member occurred through this forum within 2 months of it coming available. Couldn't have been happier.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with Nick, when I was looking for my ambulance had people offer me cars that needed various levels of restoration to museum quality and the prices reflected the condition. But at the end of the day, the vehicle I purchased fit my ideal of condition for my first ProCar.

After all, I had a desire to own a high top ambulance, but was not sure after I purchased one, how much I was going to enjoy it. So far, I am not discouraged. I plan to own this car, take care of it, maybe improve its appearance a bit as it does not need much and hopefully sell it to someone with a similar entry level interest.

My ultimate goal is to still own a 1973 S/S Medic Mark in awesome condition and there is one in Southern Pines, NC that one day I hope the PCS member that owns it will see fit to sell it. TO ME!

So in my case it was not so much about the audience as it was finding the right car for me from a seller that I trusted.

Interesting discussion going on here. I have sold a few things on this forum and bought some items and a couple of procars, too. But, without a doubt, we have a relatively small audience. I am going to lose money when I sell the car, but I would rather lose money and sell it to someone here, on the forum, before I lose money to a stranger.

I have owned many procars over the years and most of them were very enjoyable. I wish I owned this ambulance earlier, because I love it. But, I have grown tired of dealing with finding reasonable rent and a suitable garage, on top of which, I want to simplify my life. I am letting go of things, lots of them. One of these days, I might be letting go of my collection of The Professional Car and when I do, I will offer it here.

For right now, I need to find a home for this Superior Pontiac, even if I regret selling it someday.

Unfortunately, those that do end up owning many of these nicer high top ambulances often buy them for their promotional use and have no real passion for the car itself. They are left sitting outside in a parking lot where they, once again, begin to rapidly deteriorate. These cars are not at all tolerant of sitting outside for any extended period of time. One owner can sink an insane amount of money into restoration one only to have it deteriorate under the ownership of a subsequent owner.

Yes, these rigs are difficult to sell, in any condition, for any significant amount of money. Hearses, especially those built in the '70s and newer, are even harder to sell. Pro cars definitely have not kept up with the market for comparable collectible passenger cars.

No matter what a person collects, seems odd, to people who are not like-minded. Some people collect washing machines, others collect rusted junk, the rest of the world scratches their heads in amazement. But, if that is what makes you happy, go for it! Right now, I want to let stuff move to new caretakers. Don't get me wrong, I have no reason to believe that I am leaving this world in the near future, although we never know, but I really don't like the thought of someone coming and putting my stuff to the curb, simply because to them it has no value. Do you guys know what I'm saying?

Please don't miss-read my response to Bill's post on the previous page. My comment was not intended to be "snarky". It was only a statement based on my results, and lack thereof, in posting things for sale on this forum in the past. I have just learned to go right to eBay, Craig's List, or elsewhere when selling anything that might have any real monetary value. I spend as much, or more, time as anyone on this site and will probably continue to do so. I thoroughly enjoy helping fellow collectors in finding things that they have been searching for, but I have money and time invested in everything that I own and I cannot just give the stuff away. I haven't even had very good luck with the things that I have posted as "free to a good home".

Bill my friend, your car is beautiful. I'm a one pro car guy. These cars are big, and can be difficult. My 63 is here to stay, and I'll likely never own a second. If temporary storage issues are what's bothering you, you can keep it here until you find another option. Bill, the fact that you're having trouble selling this car might just be a sign that you should keep it. My 2 cents buddy.

Bill my friend, your car is beautiful. I'm a one pro car guy. These cars are big, and can be difficult. My 63 is here to stay, and I'll likely never own a second. If temporary storage issues are what's bothering you, you can keep it here until you find another option. Bill, the fact that you're having trouble selling this car might just be a sign that you should keep it. My 2 cents buddy.

The reason it works...the reason I support this site. Thank you Brendan

Bill

Maybe no one is buying it because if you sell it you will be for the most part leaving the procar world.

If someones buys it, so long Bill.

Maybe we are not offering because we want to keep you around.

After all, you did just spend a year working hard to host the 40th anniversary gathering of the PCS.

Maybe on one wants to see you go.

It could be that we don't want Lucille to go but need to keep you so she stays.

I don't know for sure but it could very well be the case.

All kidding aside, I hope it goes to someone who wants it and will love it as long as they can.

Take up Brendan's offer to store it for a while. See if you miss it.
Outta sight, outta mind. If you don't, let it go. If you do, then you won't regret it.

Whatever you do, keep looking for the car you want next.
The thrill is in the hunt.

Darren

Still For Sale

I am sorry if I seem like I am pushing, but this ambulance needs a new home. I know it is just a driver-quality car, or a parade car, but I know what I have spent on it and I know that has no bearing on how much it is worth.

Make an offer! Better yet, maybe you have a car, or truck you don't want, perhaps a trade? Please pm, or call me at 201 342 4871 and we can talk, I will give you an in-depth description.

There are many pictures on hemmings.com

Back