PROPER mounting of Federal Beacon ...

James Fischer

PCS Member
I REMOVED the weak Signal-Stat #378 from the 70 today.....

Who ever mounted this baby, just took the existing toggles bolts and welded on a 2-3" extension...then mounted the light.....it really look like an amature job......we also found 2 "hot" wires ??.......

Now to mount the 184......I want to mount this ONE first before I attempt to mount the TWO on the 72....

My question is just what is the PROPER method of installation....I have seen people just put in the toggles and then play "fishing" trying to get all 3 bolts to line up ...with the motor already mounted on the skirt.....then I saw a post here from Richard Vyse, when he mounted his twin 184's...I noticed he had the skirt OFF and mounted the motor first to the toggles......
Which of these is best or easier ??
If anyone has any diagrams or pictures available that would be great....
Comments and ideas appreciated !!!
Jim

Thank you Ed.....
I am assuming that the crushnuts were already installed on the roof ??

I have to use togglebolts,since the holes are about a 1/2" wide.....I took out the old welded on ones.....what a pain those were to get out .....
I guess just put a washer and locknut on the bottom portion of the bolt with some loctite ??
And since I am also mounting a 184 I now see how to do it properly..:)Thank you again for the help !!

As far as the 2 hot wires,the little Signal Stat they had was only powering a turn indicator bulb !!!........but who knows what they had mounted before the Signal Stat....it might have taken 2 "hots"...

If there are two hot wires the car may have had a federal 175 or 176 beacon. Those beacon can run two or four bulbs selected by a two position switch. Or Superrior just ran two hots in case the customer specified that type of beacon.

no matter what you use toggle bolts or crush nuts or slide a bolt up threw hole you need the jam nut to hold it in place on the roof. the legs is what everything is held on to no matter what light you use. the weld a extension is one way to make them longer. were it doesn't have to look pretty it has to hold.
now first thing before you cover it up is to find what switch controls each hot wire.

Next dumb question....

Ok...so I am still trying to figure out how to pull the bulb portion off of the center shaft:confused: itself.....it looks like it is pressed on there..??
So I can get the motor base mounted.....
I really was paying attention in class...just missed that part I guess !!!:rolleyes:

are you talking about the cast portion that holds the bulbs. There are hex head bolts behind the bulbs. You just need to loosen the ones that directly contact the shaft.

are you talking about the cast portion that holds the bulbs. There are hex head bolts behind the bulbs. You just need to loosen the ones that directly contact the shaft.

Thank you Scott !!!:thumbsup:

Came apart like a champ.......

I didnt even see those hex heads......the light has been restored and the silver paint just covered everything,so the the hex heads didnt even stand out......
Thank you again !!
JIm

There ought to be a law

My observations over the decades is that private ambulance company people and volunteer fire fighters really get into their emergency equipment.
I can't get over the amount of live wires I've found under the dash. My latest project is a '78 American LaFrance. There are 10 toggle switches above the dash. I don't know where they all go, but I found enough live wires in the dash under that console for all those switches. I put red electrical tape on such wires just to remind me for later projects.

Back