Armstrong Colonial Classic is Being Reproduced

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Over a year of efforts, and what no one thought would happen has come true. This is what I believe the PCS should be about, and I hope we see more of it. I would suggest members need to ask of leadership what the Society membership brings them in terms of value. The below photo shows an original sample of red brick, the bottom shows the new "Heritage Brick" product.

Yes - I am going to ask for a more "red" version. But this is a transnational flooring corporation - we're very lucky they chose to support us specifically. We are the first to have samples and announce this with the blessing of their Marketing team.

I believe that even without changes - the "Coral" colorway will make it into my 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile ambulance.

Per the PCS Press Release: "The PCS is proud to announce the coming availability of Armstrong Colonial Classic sheet flooring! The long-discontinued and much sought-after pattern for professional car flooring is coming to a flooring retailer near you, due to the efforts of PCS member, Nick Studer. Nick says, "I have arranged for the return of Armstrong Colonial Classic. It will be in four colors. Per Armstrong: "Product will be made in our CushionStep Better with Diamond 10 Technology sheet format. It will be available through some local flooring retailers and eventually through Lowe’s via online ordering." Click here for the teaser picture from Armstrong of the colors that will be available (Coral will be the match for classic pro-car flooring). Stay tuned for pricing and availability!"

http://www.theprofessionalcarsociety.org/uploads/3/8/2/5/38257723/heritage_brick_teaser_03132020.pdf shows the color charts.

Attachments

• 2020-03-14 15.06.29.jpg
    2020-03-14 15.06.29.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 769
Is "Coral" the large brownish sample on the lower left? That would be a great match for the goldish-brown interior in my '74 Lifeliner!

Good job Nick!! Thanks for your efforts!!

Thanks Nick for your efforts and perseverance for seeing this project to its completion... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Actually, the coral color would work better with the Omaha Orange vinyl interior also. The original red vinyl really only looked good with the red vinyl interior anyway.

Colonial classic vinyl / linoleum

Just for giggles I recently googled the out-of-production print that most of our rigs originally had (not to mention your parent's kitchen). I finally got an answer today. This link is to the entire discussion. I was told it's coming back into production.
https://retrorenovation.com/2013/08/22/armstrong-5352-3/#comments

Take a look at all the designs along the thread....

We can only hope.
My best to all of you and hope you stay healthy!
Kevin
:)

All - Armstrong is very kindly considering a deeper red by my request. No promises, and I certainly couldn't ask it of them. Their concern is that the deeper red may be "too much" for the modern consumer. Please consider going to their Facebook page to post and otherwise reach out to tell them you're in the market for it!

Just for giggles I recently googled the out-of-production print that most of our rigs originally had (not to mention your parent's kitchen). I finally got an answer today. This link is to the entire discussion. I was told it's coming back into production.
https://retrorenovation.com/2013/08/22/armstrong-5352-3/#comments

Take a look at all the designs along the thread....

We can only hope.
My best to all of you and hope you stay healthy!
Kevin
:)

Mr. Lynch - What you linked to is a very old post on a home improvement page, that did a good job summarizing the history for the publicity on this announcement. I provided that link to Mr. Goethe for the Facebook page, which I think is what you are referencing?

There were many patterns in the Stencil Craft line, which are all long discontinued. What you see in the first post is what will be. PCS is the first to see this new product and the first to announce its availability. There is a link in first post here to the formal color-sheets.

As we are not working the cars the softer vinyl should work ok. Great job on this. .

This is a much more modern product than what was offered in the past. Armstrong promises it'll take more of a beating than the original. It is not really "softer."

The Colonial Classic vinyl from the '70s really didn't hold up that well to heavy use, sun, heat, etc. I really like the coral coloring a lot, but I wish it didn't have quite so much "patina" on it(dirty appearance) as compared to the original red, which is cleaner in appearance. I REALLY liked the original green in this pattern, which would look awesome with S&S's "pea green" vinyl that they offered in their ambulances.

Last edited:
The Colonial Classic vinyl from the '70s really didn't hold up that well to heavy use, sun, heat, etc.

I don't believe that it was vinyl, I also believe that Colonial Classic was only available in linoleum. Linoleum has great wear characteristics, however, it also will "compress" or "dent" where there is constant pressure, such as under the wheels of the gurney. I have noticed this on many cars over the years. For this reason, I don't keep the gurney in my 1969 during the off season. I want to give the linoleum time to recover.

With real/true linoleum, the color goes all the way through the material. The Colonial Classic (from the '70s anyway) was vinyl flooring.

You have to remember no one is doing flooring the way they
They did back then. Same as paints and other material used in the interior. Yes you may if they are parked side by side see and feel the difference. But like any thing in this world there is nothing like original. Till you can't get it any more.

Well they do still make real linoleum and it can be purchased from commercial flooring dealers. They probably just don't use formaldehyde in manufacturing it anymore. I see rolls and roll-ends of real linoleum frequently at Habitat For Humanity Re-Store locations. That old, true linoleum, had a very distinctive odor!

Back