'69 C-B Olds Ambulance Has a New Home

A couple weeks ago, we discussed the '69 C-B Olds Ambulance that was for sale on e-bay, in this thread. Tonight, I met the new owner!

(But first, some background, since I do not believe in short stories. If you want to skip this part, you can. I was a member of the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad in MD from 1980 to 1993. I grew up in the area. I have been involved with a youth EMS program called the First Aid Unit since 1977 and am the Chairman now. The First Aid Unit was an Explorer Post sponsored by a fire department, and the sponsorship will end this year. My old department, Wheaton, agreed to become the new sponsor. And I am applying once again for membership, though I am not yet a member. Tonight, I attended a department meeting to introduce the program to the Squad members.)

The Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad in MD is a proud old squad, founded in 1955 and still functioning today. At their meeting tonight, it was announced that one of the Alumni Members had purchased this '69 C-B, and is going to donate it to the Squad to near-replicate one of their old rigs. It will become a PR and parade unit! I am very excited. And though I have submitted an application, I am not yet a member of the Squad, the Chief appointed me to be on the committee for it's restoration and care. :cool:

The new owner is very enthusiastic, and talked to me before and after the meeting. He will be picking up the ambulance on Saturday. He asked me if I knew how to join the PCS - well, I think I do. He will be a member of PCS and Mid-Atlantic Chapter soon.

Wheaton never owned a '69, but did own three '70 C-B Olds ambulances, as shown below.

Wow, who'd'a thought....

Attachments

• 70CBOldsWRS1.jpg
    70CBOldsWRS1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 549
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Steve: great post! I am certain you will guide them and they will come to have a first rate parade vehicle. What better home to see this car come to.

Enjoy full stories,

Steve that is great,they have talent on the committee,and hopefully we will get to see it at the international in 2016:D

That’s great and I’m glad the car has found a new home where it will be preserved, cared for, and respected for years to come. This greatly reduces the chances of this vehicle ever becoming an Ecto or purchased by someone who would customize it into a party limo or a goth-mobile.

Too bad they didn’t buy the white 1970 C/B that’s up north in a junk yard and restore that one,(Thats would have been much more of a project) but when finished it could have looked identical to the one they previously owned but still a great save nonetheless!

Steve and others: Great story and I am glad they got it. I was going to bid on it also to "replicate" the one we one had here, but it was a long ways away and the department retirees here were pretty insistent on getting a 1968... even though the difference seemed only to be a minor change in the grille inserts? THX-MM

Besides the year, the big difference is the tunnel lights. That was a topic of discussion between the Chief and the new owner (and me) last night. The Chief is ready to take a cutting torch and cut them off, and replace them with the Junior beacons as the original had. The owner and the rest of us on the committee aren't so excited about that. Junior beacons can be found, but folks were concerned that cutting off the tunnel lights would be a lot of work and destroy the integrity of the car that this is. I'm glad that others felt like I did. Not sure how it's going to go just yet, we'll see.

Cutting those elongated tunnel lights will in fact compromise the integrity of the roof but they will have ot learn the hard way and it will be costly. As well it will destroy an already almost pristine example of an original car which is rare in itself.

This is why I would suggest them finding that all white 1970 in the junk yard and buying it to restore if they are so serious about historically correct details. However its their car and its their rodeo.

I agree that removing the tunnels might be a big mistake. Our's out here was IDENTICAL including the tunnels, center mounted Q and a 184 on the roof. Only difference was that it was ALL RED and twin Unity Spots.

Well, it arrived at its new home today. Here is a photo from Facebook of it in the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad station. :D

Attachments

• 69CBOldsWheatonVRSMD.jpg
    69CBOldsWheatonVRSMD.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 189
No disrespect intended and its their car and their rodeo so they can do with it as they want, however if they make too many changes I will be disappointed that they have ruined a RARE all original professional car, which is harder to find these days. Even painting it white IMHO is a drastic disrespect to this vehicle.

I had seriously considered purchasing this vehicle but I know if I had it would be parked in a storage facility for many years and be neglected. That was the deciding factor for me not purchasing this vehicle. I just couldn't justify the neglect I would subject the car to even with the best of intentions.

I hope if they are so serious as they seem in a correct restoration or period appearance that they will buy the 70" model in the salvage yard up north (Canada I think) and work on it, after all its already solid white and looks just like their old rig. Why ruin a nice rare original vehicle in attempts to create a "feeling" of something that never was..

In the end though I am resigned to the fact it will get painted white and converted to look like one of their of older vehicles, and possible even be castrated by having the tunnel lights cut out. Truly a VERY sad situation IMHO

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Well it ain't a ecto

While I can agree with keeping it as is,I must accept it has been purchased by a group who wish to show it,as part of their history,and with Steve as a member and advisor, I trust it will once again grace the streets with the Q telling all how it was in the good old days :applause:

FYI, I am ON the committee that will make the decisions about this. I am about 90% certain that the decision will ultimately be to not remove the tunnel lights. I can't see making that much of a physical change to the car that we would tamper with the integrity of something structural (like the roof).

As for paint, yes, it will almost certainly be painted solid white. As we know, paint is just paint. Paint can be changed pretty easily. We've seen a lot worse painted vehicles that have been repainted and look great (remember the "bail bonds" cars a couple years ago, or any of the ex-GB cars that have been saved?). Heck, I haven't seen the car, I don't even know yet if the white/red is the original color at all, nor do I know it's history.

The one modification that will, eventually, be done is to return the rear fenders to a state where they can accommodate fender skirts. They have been cut at some point in its past.

I am very much in favor of keeping a vehicle in it's original state as much as possible as you likely know. That said, I did change the color of one of my ambulances (my Henney Jr. from AF Blue to burgundy/cream), but I also changed one from its later colors back to its original (my Volunteer, from 2nd-owner white/orange to original white/Flamengo Red/white). Most of the others I have are in their original colors. But if one is going to make a change, it should be something tasteful and era-appropriate, and that's what this will be.

Steve

The fact you're on the committee gives me a sense of some relief but at the same time I know from firsthand experience that the person who donated the car or who is paying for it usually get the last say.

I wish you and the entire organization the best wishes in a successful campaign to maintain and display this historic vehicle in parades and other events. I also know that your commitment to the professional car preservation hobby is by far at a standard many hope to one day achieve, so just knowing you will do your best is a great comfort. Again best wishes and remember to enjoy ever step of the journey!

Well, it arrived at its new home today. Here is a photo from Facebook of it in the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad station. :D

Steve: It's BEAUTIFUL! I realize now I REALLY screwed up by not grabbing it up for our department. With ONLY a change to a red top and fender skirts, it would have been an exact clone. MM

I just spoke with my friend, Howard Smith, in Beltsville, MD about this car. Smitty has inspected it thoroughly for the buyer since it arrived at it's new home. It sounds like the car is extremely rusty and is going to need major restoration work on the body and frame(new quarter panels, floor pans, frame repairs, etc.) It sounds like its most recent paint job was hiding a multitude of issues!

I just spoke with my friend, Howard Smith, in Beltsville, MD about this car. Smitty has inspected it thoroughly for the buyer since it arrived at it's new home. It sounds like the car is extremely rusty and is going to need major restoration work on the body and frame(new quarter panels, floor pans, frame repairs, etc.) It sounds like its most recent paint job was hiding a multitude of issues!
Yeah, I got an e-mail from the owner today saying the same thing. He said that they were able to drive it home, probably 5-6 hour drive, and while they had some trouble starting it after they shut it off, they were able to get it restarted.

Well, nothing comes easy. :eek:

Yeah, I got an e-mail from the owner today saying the same thing. He said that they were able to drive it home, probably 5-6 hour drive, and while they had some trouble starting it after they shut it off, they were able to get it restarted.

Well, nothing comes easy. :eek:

Steve: If they get frustrated it could still change zip codes to CA! MM

Back