scraching my head

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
so we got started putting the brakes on the 67. we went down to the local parts store and picked up the bonded ones with the new material. they are way different. normal it's big shoe in the rear but in this case they are the same size and in different positions. I though will I had this regular mechanic put them on in the rear lets see what he did. but he put one on one way the the other reversed. so now I either have one axle wrong or 3 axles wrong. any one know if this is right or wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 355
Short lining (Primary) shoe to the front, long lining shoe (Secondary) to the rear. Self adjuster always goes on the rear shoe. Brake show part number 127

the consensuses at the parts store was then went on with the rear shoe on the top. that was the way I put the front ones on so we swapped them around on the one side in the rear. did I mention I was not going back to that shop? here is the different in the look of them. still confusing to me but I would think it will grab better this way going forward. it it doesn't stop at all but locks up in reverse I swap them the other way around. waiting now for the hoses to come in and the new drums for the rear.

Attachments

• Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 219
Shoes

the consensuses at the parts store was then went on with the rear shoe on the top. that was the way I put the front ones on so we swapped them around on the one side in the rear. did I mention I was not going back to that shop? here is the different in the look of them. still confusing to me but I would think it will grab better this way going forward. it it doesn't stop at all but locks up in reverse I swap them the other way around. waiting now for the hoses to come in and the new drums for the rear.

This still looks like you have 2 primary ( short shoes) on one axle.

Not the best pic I have but of the shoes on the rear of a 73 ,same setup.

Attachments

• DSC04987.jpg
    DSC04987.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 223
Looks that way to me also. we have received to sets from Pronto that are the same. A year apart. Neather indicate which is the primary shoe. I feel that this may be the last set we get from them. Carquest might be more money but there old stuff looks more OEM.

Unless I am seeing wrong looks like primary (short lining) on the one shoe is glued with gap at bottom rather than at top as is the usual way. I doubt this will affect braking at all. And yes I learned at the age of 15 that the short shoe ALWAYS goes to the front. Got a cussing out from mechanic I was helping when he had to take my job apart and do it over. Back in the day we used to throw the self adjusting hardware away get retractor springs from a non self adjust and put it together never liked the self adjusters anyway. The other thing thats too bad is you can not get rivited shoes today. They are much better for heat dissapation on heavy vehicles but we don't drive them that hard now so bonded works OK.

Back