Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/index.php)
-   2014 PCS International Meet - Rochester, Minnesota (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Flyover (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16159)

Steve Lichtman 08-22-2014 03:31 PM

Flyover

1 Attachment(s)
Did anyone else notice, during the show, the flyover of a WWII B-17 bomber? I heard it before I saw it, and pointed it out to the folks who were at the photo area.

I know, all those great cars, who's noticing a plane? Me.

Scott A. Anderson 08-22-2014 03:35 PM

I heard it before I saw it. Nice photo!

Wayne Krakowski 08-22-2014 03:38 PM

If I'd have been there I would have the same reaction to when our 6 Harvard aircraft take to the skies over Woodstock..............woooow.nice picture,thanks.

Mike Burkhart - Deceased 1948 - 2016 08-22-2014 03:48 PM

Yes, I heard it and seen it. It flew over while I was waiting at the photo shoot. I love WWII Aircraft, especially the P-51 and the C-47. Thanks, Steve, for a great shot.

John ED Renstrom 08-22-2014 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe that is a b-29. they were having rides in it at the airport that day. you can't mistake those radial engines it's a sound all it's own. you got a better picture then I did of it.

Tim Prieur 08-22-2014 06:30 PM

I have been fortunate enough to see it in Mesa Az. As Ed says, the droan from those engines as it "lumbers" along, so cool!

John Royark JR 08-22-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Prieur (Post 129784)
I have been fortunate enough to see it in Mesa Az. As Ed says, the droan from those engines as it "lumbers" along, so cool!

Lumbers along is right, it made a lot of noise but didn't look like it was going very fast.

Steve Lichtman 08-22-2014 07:31 PM

FYI, I looked it up before I posted, it is indeed a B-17.

The main spotting feature of a B-17 is the angled leading and trailing edge of the wing. A B-29 has a straight edge on both the front and the back of the wing. Also, a B-17 has a ball-turret gun position (bubble) under the body, as you can see in the photo, which a B-29 does not.

And, of course, there is the ad from the Experimental Aircraft Association advertising rides on the B-17 in Rochester that day! The plane is named "Aluminum Overcast".

Ed, we gotta get you some of those WWII plane spotting cards, wouldn't want you to confuse a Mustang with a Messerschmitt. (Do you all see the car reference there?;))

John ED Renstrom 08-22-2014 09:53 PM

a mustang I can spot. the square wind tips a give away. I looked up and saw 4 engines and silver. never seen a 17 that wasn't painted. they do have a 29 here in the air and space museum but it's on the ground. so no help there. but if you had the flier you had a advantage. me I had the guy selling the flower car. I said is that a 29 he said yes they are giving rides on it out to the airport. I might be glad I did not make a deal on the car!!

John Royark JR 08-23-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom (Post 129798)
I might be glad I did not make a deal on the car!!

If it had the missing boot I would have taken it home.