Obstetrical Kits in the "Old Days"

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Nowadays, the disposable obstetrical kits are the norm. Either a cardboard box (if you're old school!) or a plastic bag is all I've ever seen.

607500.JPG

5149.jpg

I picked up a Dyna-Med cardboard boxed kit that looks like it dates from the late 1970s for my 1970 Oldsmobile Cotington 48. But what about the 1963 Chrysler-Pinner? There's discussion they had some kind of kit in a news article.

Squad 51 was shown to carry this rather impressive sized hard boxed kit during Emergency!. I don't recall it being actually opened during the show for me to see the contents, but I may be wrong. Is this realistic to folks recollection? It seems rather large though, particularly for Advanced First Aid staffed units. I don't really have any good guesses on contents since we're predating all of the disposable stuff we use today. I imagine it'd be roughly comparable (the disposable kits had to come from something!) so I imagine sterile gloves, scissors more likely than scalpel, hemostats instead of those plastic clamps, and linen items instead of the paper products.

Any other ideas or resources on what folks might have carried? :)

Attachments

• OB Kit.jpg
    OB Kit.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 122
Have seen old ones that were bundled in sheets (heavy cotton ones,)for draping and sterile sheets inside,regular hemostats, surgical scissors, little bulb suction for clearing airway,and a double sided receiving blanket pink one side for a girl blue the other side for a boy,they were very basic indeed,but did the job....

they had a catchers mitt as I recall. one has to remember there was a big difference in basic first aid cars and those with some advanced training. not a lot of units were run with advanced training hence the 455 in the olds being the number one weapon in their disposal. the reason it's listed in the newspaper article on the pinner is because it's considered way advanced. me, I remember a cardboard box that had a small squeeze bulb, piece of twine (white cotton to tie off the cord) and a pair of blunt scissors and gloves. we of course never carried gloves in those days on the rig.

Indeed - some folks seem to have carried what we would think of as modern-day "Basic Life Support" and others, not so much.

Anyone happen to have one of these old kits around?

Back